Purpose: To recognize and honor Northern Michigan University junior faculty who since coming to the university have demonstrated exceptional leadership attributes on campus and the broader community.
Eligibility: Faculty who are currently on full-time, continuing, or active status and have been members of the Northern Michigan University faculty for less than five (5) years at the time of the award nomination.
Criteria: Nominees must have demonstrated exceptional leadership. The committee will base its decision on the nominee’s significant contributions to NMU and the broader community. The nomination should reflect many of the following:
- Advancing innovative initiatives or needed change.
- Inspiring individuals and groups to accomplish more than they would have normally.
- Exhibiting an openness to new ideas and partnerships.
- Demonstrating high standards of integrity and fairness.
- Communicating with openness, honesty, and civility.
- Including diverse perspectives in problem solving and the development of new ideas.
- Aligning actions and decisions with the University’s strategic goals, mission and direction.
Nominations: Any peer, department head/director, unit evaluation committee, or student may nominate an eligible faculty member. The nomination must be submitted to Claudia Mankee in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org. The following items should be included in this order in one PDF document:
- Letter of nomination from peer, department head/director, unit evaluation committee, or student. Limit to 2 pages.
- Narrative from nominee that includes their leadership accomplishments. Limit to 3 pages.
- Curriculum vitae. Limit to 5 pages.
- Letters of support. Limit to 3 letters.
Deadline: Completed nominations with all supporting documentation must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 1, 2022 to Claudia Mankee (email@example.com) in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Selection: All nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Advisory Committee chaired by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and composed of the Academic Deans and two faculty members.
Recognition: Recipients of the NMU Faculty Emerging Leadership Award will be recognized at the Celebration of Excellence in Teaching, Scholarship and Leadership. One recipient annually will receive a cash award of $1,000.
Information: For further information, contact Claudia Mankee in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at (906) 227-2922 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.