There are many housing options for students looking to live off-campus while attending Northern Michigan University.  From studio apartments to large houses for rent, you will probably be able to find what you're looking for in Marquette, Mich. and the surrounding area.  A couple resources to begin your search for off-campus housing are found below.  Before you start your housing search, please read the University's "Housing Requirement" policy section on this webpage.

The following websites are available to assist students in their search for off-campus housing:

  • NMU's Dean of Students Office maintains a list of off-campus housing.  This website is updated weekly.
  • Marquette's daily newspaper is called The Mining Journal. To view a list of rental housing, click on "classifieds," and then make a selection under "rentals."

"Housing Requirement" Policy

All single, undergraduate students must live in a residence hall unless one of the following conditions is met before the start of the semester of enrollment at NMU:

  • Earned 56 credit hours or more;
  • resided four or more semesters in a residence hall;
  • twenty-one years of age or older;
  • parent or guardian of a dependent child;
  • residing at home with a parent or guardian within a 60 mile commuting distance;
  • veteran who qualifies for veterans' benefits by virtue of at least one year of active duty service in a branch of the armed forces; or
  • taking eight or fewer credit hours during the semester of enrollment.

If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you are required to live in a residence hall unless an exception to the University's housing requirement policy is granted.  Exceptions are only granted due to an extenuating circumstance.  Once you meet the conditions of the housing requirement policy, you then have the option of living in a residence hall, choosing an on-campus apartment, or living off-campus.  If you have any questions about this policy or applying for an exception to the policy, you should contact the Housing and Residence Life Office at 906-227-2620 or or your NMU admissions counselor.