Let's face it: English can be a difficult language to master. We've put together these ESL/EFL (English as a Second Language/English as a Foreign Language) resources to help you improve your English language skills through fun and self-guided exercises. Whether you want to work on speaking and listening or reading and writing, you'll find plenty of resources here to help you succeed in your classes and communicate easier in your daily interactions.
- Activities for ESL Students offers quizzes, tests, exercises, and puzzles for ESL students. Bilingual quizzes are available by language.
- China232 creates podcasts for ESL students that teach slang and everyday English conversation for intermediate to advanced speakers.
- Crossword Solver offers an assortment of fun word games to learn new vocabulary, practice spelling, and more! Perfect for taking a little break between more extensive language activities.
- Dave’s ESL Café provides resources for ESL students and teachers including idioms, slang, quotes, a job center, and discussion forums.
- Duolingo is a free app with a variety of word matching and listening activities that increase in difficulty as you level up. You can compete with other users and enjoy interactive stories that improve your listening and reading skills.
- English 4 IT is an online training program with reading, writing, and listening activities for ESL students and teachers in the IT field.
- ESL Go offers free ESL classes and free English practice message boards, as well as free teaching ESL activities created by an experienced ESL teacher.
- ESL Gold has free materials for both students and teachers with all materials categorized by skill or level for easy access.
- ESL Lounge offers reading, listening, and grammar activities for ESL students, whether you're a beginning or advanced speaker. Helpful videos, games, and a newsletter make learning English fun and informative.
- NMU ESL Resources contains links to practice tests for the TOEFL and IELTS exams; links to speaking, listening, and reading activities; academic vocabulary builders; and more.
- Randall's Cyber Listening Lab provides videos and audio files that help ESL students test their pronunciation.
If you are an international student applying to NMU or currently attending NMU, you can also visit our International Programs page for information about our application process, summer programs, other international students' stories, and international student services, such as employment, insurance, and student involvement opportunities.