The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) was created by a coalition of representatives from community colleges and four-year, public and private universities.  The MTA exists to increase the transferability of general education courses across all of Michigan's public institutions.

In order to satisfy MTA requirements, students must complete at least 30 credit hours from an approved list of courses with a grade of 2.0 ("C" grade) or higher in each course.  Each community college decides which courses can be completed at their respective institution in order to satisfy the requirements of MTA in each category. To see which courses are on the approved list at your community college, see the "MTA Information" for your college on their website.

Course requirements to satisfy MTA will, generally, conform as follows:

  • Two courses in English composition or one course in English composition and one course in communications
  • Two social science courses from two different disciplines
  • Two courses in humanities and/or fine arts (excluding studio and performance courses) from two different disciplines
  • Two natural science courses, including at least one with a laboratory experience, from two different disciplines
  • One college-level course in mathematics

When a student completes the MTA requirements at their institution, outlined above, Michigan Transfer Agreement Satisfied or a similar statement will be prominently displayed on that student's official transcript from that institution. Check with your community college advising office, transfer coordinator, or Registrar to have your MTA progress evaluated. The student is responsible for requesting the official transcript be sent to NMU for admission purposes.

As a signatory of the MTA, Northern Michigan University will consider any student with Michigan Transfer Agreement Satisfied shown on the official transcript from the community college to have met NMU's General Education Program.  Students will still be expected to complete all other degree requirements, including graduation requirements available here and any courses listed as “Other Required Courses” that may also be General Education Program courses. More information on NMU's major, minor, program, General Education Program, and other degree requirements can be found in the University's Undergraduate Bulletin.

The Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) created a "frequently asked questions" resource to provide more information to transfer students on MTA and the previous "MACRAO Agreement." Access it here.

Let us help you with transfer course planning.

NMU transfer admission counselors are committed to helping you find the most efficient transfer path. There are courses used to fulfill MTA and General Education Program requirements that may also be used to fulfill academic major, minor, or other degree requirements.  

The Michigan Transfer Agreement is a great option for many students planning to transfer from a Michigan community college to a Michigan university; however, the MTA route may not be the best fit for all majors or programs based on course/curriculum sequencing and/or pre-requisite coursework. Students are encouraged to work with an academic adviser at their community college and an NMU admission counselor to receive the best transfer course planning advice.

NMU may have a transfer course guide to assist you in selecting courses at your Michigan community college to be used toward partial completion of an NMU major or program. Transfer course guides are merely tools, and it is our recommendation to use one in consultation with an NMU admission counselor to ensure you are receiving the most accurate information for transferring to NMU.


If you have questions about the MTA, MACRAO Agreement, transfer course guides or other transfer planning, please email or call 906-227-2650.

To request information about a specific NMU major/program or to receive general information from NMU, request information here.