students talking with each other

Who is considered a post-baccalaureate student?

Applicants who hold a baccalaureate or higher degree and who wish to pursue another undergraduate degree (in a field other than that of previous degree/s) or seek an initial secondary or elementary provisional teaching certificate, are considered post-baccalaureate applicants and will be admitted to NMU providing they have graduated from an accredited college or university. Individual academic programs may have additional requirements for admission. 

Those not seeking an undergraduate degree or teaching certificate but wishing to take undergraduate-level courses for personal or professional development or preparation for a graduate program will apply as post-baccalaureate non-degree and will see the non-degree option on the application.

Post-Baccalaureate Application Instructions

  1. Complete the undergraduate application for admission form. If you have previously applied, please notify the Admissions Office. We keep previous applications on file for one year from the semester of intended enrollment.
  2. Transcripts –Request your official college/university/trade school transcripts be sent to the Admissions Office.* You must have an official transcript submitted directly from each institution you attended even if no credits were earned. Transcripts from foreign institutions need to be sent to an external agency for evaluation.

    * NMU has an alternate procedure regarding acceptable documentation for applicants with extenuating circumstances. Applicants with extenuating circumstances should contact the Admissions or Graduate Admissions Office for more information. 

Scholarships - Post-bac students are not eligible for our freshman or transfer scholarships. Other types of financial assistance may be available. Please consult with the financial aid office regarding your eligibility.

Student's feet in front of Lake Superior

You are invited to join in a journey of learning and discovery, driven by shared passion and enthusiasm.

Academic Opportunities

Post-baccalaureate students at NMU may seek an additional undergraduate degree, certificate or education certification. There is also a post-baccalaureate non-degree option for those wishing to take pre-requisite coursework for graduate school, or take courses for personal or professional enrichment.  You can browse our programs here or explore individual courses here

Students may earn additional degrees or certificates in academic areas or programs other than any previously earned degrees or certificates. Students must meet all current requirements relating to their new degree or certificate. Students who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and who seek a second bachelor's degree will be considered to have met the University-wide General Education and Graduation Requirements, but must satisfy all school/college, department and program requirements.

Degree-seeking students work directly with the academic department after admission to determine a plan of study and courses required to complete their programs. To qualify for an additional degree at NMU, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits (baccalaureate), 16 credits (associate), or 8 credits (certificate) beyond their first degree program.

More information about our academic standards and polices are available in the University Bulletin.

Academic Tools

Interested in exploring your potential degree path?  Although the best resource is your faculty adviser, you may be interested in seeing how your past work may apply to your intended program. This resource allows a search through previously evaluated courses from many U.S. colleges and universities:  NMU Course Equivalency Database. You can then review advising sheets to see how your past courses may apply to your desired degree. Please confirm with your adviser prior to registering for courses.

Admissions Requirements

Post-baccalaureate students with a conferred baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution are admissible to NMU.  There is no GPA requirement beyond the conferred degree for general admission to NMU, though some departments may have additional requirements.  Applicants should provide transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. We are able to offer admission upon receipt of the transcript showing the earned degree but will need to receive all transcripts prior to enrollment. You can apply using these instructions.


Professor lecturing

Cost and Aid

Post-baccalaureate students taking on-campus classes at NMU pay undergraduate, upper-division tuition at either resident or non-resident rates. Students taking online classes should refer to undergraduate extention rates. You can view tuition details here.  Non-Michigan residents who earned their associate or bachelor's degree from NMU are eligible for in-state tuition rates based on NMU's Residency Policy.

Though financial aid isn’t as abundant for post-baccalaureate students as it may be for others, post-baccalaureate students may still qualify for loans and can apply for other forms of aid. Be sure to complete your FAFSA and send it to NMU to determine your eligibility with our Financial Aid Office. Non-degree students are not eligible for Federal financial aid. You can also explore our donor-funded scholarships, some of which are open to students at any degree level. Eligible students may utilize our Senior Citizen Scholarship.