Northern Michigan University offers the following programs to dependents and family members of NMU graduates.
Alumni Legacy Scholarship
The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered exclusively to students whose parent (or grandparent) is a Northern Michigan University alumnus and resides in the state of Michigan. The NMU Alumni Association will award up to ten $1,000 Legacy Scholarships annually. Students may re-apply.
In order to qualify to apply for this award, students must meet the following qualifications
- Must be the child (or grandchild) of a Northern Michigan University graduate.
- Must be a Michigan resident attending NMU, having earned at least 60 credits.
- Must be a continuous, full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester for the duration of the award
- Must complete the Alumni Legacy Certification form.
- Must complete a Personal Statement paper that addresses the following:
- Please describe your extracurricular involvement (school, community and/or spiritual organizations) during the past three years;
- For your parent (grandparent) who is an alum, what do they describe to you as their best memory of their NMU experience?
- Why did you choose to attend NMU?
- Any other information you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Must complete an Alumni Legacy Certification form.
How do I apply? The application window for the 2023-24 academic year awards is now closed. The window for the following academic year will open in January 2024 and students meeting the above criteria can apply through the NMU online scholarship application system. Once the application period opens, students can access and apply through the online system by logging in through MyNMU and clicking on Financial Aid – Donor-funded Scholarships.
Non-Michigan Resident Alumni Dependent Tuition Program
Dependents or grandchildren of NMU alumni who have earned an associate degree or higher from NMU are eligible to receive a tuition rate equivalent to in-state tuition at NMU. To apply, the alumnus/alumna must complete the Alumni Dependent Certification Form here. Dependents are those age 24 or younger at the time of enrollment.
Contact NMU Admissions with any questions: 1-800-682-9797 or firstname.lastname@example.org.