Northern Michigan University offers the following programs to dependents and family members of NMU graduates.
Alumni Legacy Scholarship
The Alumni Legacy Scholarship is offered exclusively to students whose parent (or grandparent) is a Northern Michigan University alumnus and reside in the state of Michigan. The NMU Alumni Association will award up to ten $1,000 Legacy Scholarships annually. Students may re-apply.
In order to qualify to apply for this award, students must meet the following qualifications
- Must be the child (or grandchild) of a Northern Michigan University graduate.
- Must be a Michigan resident attending NMU, having earned at least 60 credits.
- Must be a continuous, full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester for the duration of the award
- Must complete the Alumni Legacy Certification form.
- Must complete a Personal Statement paper that addresses the following:
- Please describe your extracurricular involvement (school, community and/or spiritual organizations) during the past three years;
- For your parent (grandparent) who is an alum, what do they describe to you as their best memory of their NMU experience?
- Why did you choose to attend NMU?
- Any other information you would like to share with the scholarship committee.
- Must complete an Alumni Legacy Certification form.
How do I apply? Students meeting the above criteria can apply through the NMU online scholarship application system, which will open early in 2022 for 2022-23 academic year awards. Once the application period opens, students can access and apply through the online system by logging in through MyNMU and clicking on Financial Aid – Donor funded Scholarships.