Requesting a Transcript

NMU has collaborated with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide online transcript ordering software. Transcripts ordered online come directly from Northern Michigan University using the specialty ordering system software. All current and former students can order transcripts online anytime using a major credit or debit card. Requesting a transcript online is convenient and fast. Automated status notifications will be sent to by email and/or by text message. The automated electronic PDF's are issued to a designated email address or delivered to many organizations and educational institutions via Electronic Transfer (ETX) in less than 30 minutes.



Ordering Center First Page of Form

Former Students

How to Order an Official Transcript

All former NMU students should select the "Process Now, As Is" option. Do not check the "Hold for Degree Posting" option, as your transcript order will not process through the automated computer system with that designation.

Order status and updates will be sent by email and/or text. 

Transcripts are issued directly from Northern Michigan University.

Need Help? Review the Help sections below.


MYNMU Transcript Ordering Center Tile

Currently Enrolled Students

How to Order an Official Transcript

These directions are for Currently Enrolled Students Only.

  1. Log into your My.NMU student account. 
  2. Click the Transcript Ordering/Tracking tile to place your order. 

Order status and updates will be sent by email and/or text. 

Transcripts are issued directly from Northern Michigan University.

Need Help? Review the Help sections below.

Special Notes for Students who attended in the 60's, 70's, 80's and Early 90's

If you attended NMU prior to the Fall 1993 semester, your complete transcript will be manually uploaded within two business days. All 1960's, 70's, 80's and early 1990's transcripts are not in the current NMU computerized records database. Those students (pre-Fall 1993) may receive a message at the beginning of the online ordering process that there is no record on file. That's normal, your information is not in the current computerized database. Please review the information you submitted and continue on to the next page of the online order. Your transcript will be uploaded from our pre-1993 database to the online order by a member of the Registrar's staff.

Transcript delivery for Pre-1993 students may take up to two business days due to manual uploading of older records. 

Students who attended before Fall 1993 and after Fall 1993 will have their transcripts combined and resent electronically within two business days.

Request a Transcript Online

Hold for Posting of Grades

Fall Grades are now posted. Do not select this option unless you want your transcript held for semester grades. Selecting the Hold for Posting of Grades processing option will hold your transcript for release in May, August or December. Do not check the "Hold For Posting of Grades" option if you want your transcript released now. 

Upcoming Graduates - Hold for Degree Posting Option

Degrees are posted to transcripts for December 2023 Graduates. Do not select Hold for Degree unless you are graduating in May 2024. Current students can verify their degree posting on My.NMU by viewing their unofficial transcript. 

The Hold for Degree Posting option is for students graduating in May, August or December who would like to have their transcript request held and processed after the degree has been posted to the transcript. If the degree is already posted to the transcript, please do not select this option, as your transcript request will not process. The order will be coded to hold and will not process.

Form Attachments

There is an option to attach a a form, if required for the organization. You may also attach a word document with a note for the recipient.

Educational Organizations, Application Service and Scholarships


Select the drop down box in the order to send directly to the listed organizations. The organizations listed above are only a partial list. More organizations are being added each week. - Click on this link for more information on how to submit by Electronic Exchange (ETX).

How to guide




If you pre-enrolled in any courses at NMU, those courses will appear on your transcript. You will be required to provide an additional updated transcript to your new college once those courses are completed or dropped. 

Transcripts come directly from Northern Michigan University using National Student Clearinghouse electronic software.

Transcript Cost

Requested online - $8.90 Email Delivery

Secure link delivered to an e-mail address usually in 30 minutes or less.*

Laptop Holds

If you have a laptop hold, your transcripts will not be released. Contact the phone number listed on your hold to have it removed.


NMU IN number

It's not the very long number 5707400187654321 on your NMU Identification Card. It's an eight digit number usually starting with two or three zeros: 00654321.

Current Students
If you don't remember your student IN number, you can look it up on your My.NMU account under General Person Self Service  - Personal Information heading. Your NMU IN number is an eight digit ID Number: 00654321 under your NMU online identification photo.

Former Students
If you don't remember your NMU student IN number (your student identification number), you can locate it on a personal copy of your official transcript. It's located at the top middle of each page. Your NMU IN number is an eight digit ID Number: 00654321. If you don't have a copy of your transcript, you may also find it on other NMU paper documents. 

Pre-1993 Students
Students who attended prior to the Fall 1993 semester do not have an NMU IN number. The social security number was the ID number used. Students who attended prior to Fall 1993 can leave the NMU IN number on the order form blank.

Can't Locate NMU IN Number?
If you cannot locate your NMU IN number, you can leave the NMU IN number section blank and instead provide your social security number and birth date. If you have your NMU IN number, you can leave the social security number section blank on the transcript request form.

Unofficial Transcripts

Current Students can view their unofficial transcript in your My.NMU account.

How to Print Your Unofficial Transcript

  • Use Control/P  to print transcript or save as a PDF.


Former Students can request their transcript online with delivery to an email address in 30 minutes or less, 24/7:


The online transcript can be used as an official transcript or unofficial transcript. There is no other stand-alone option for unofficial transcript ordering online.


Technical Computer/Phone Ordering Issues

If you are experiencing technical difficulties with submitting transcript order information on the NSC site, try using a different web browser such as Chrome or Fire Fox, and/or delete your history/cookies.​ Some users experience problems ordering when using an older smart phone to submit an order. If that's the issue for you, try submitting your order using a laptop with Microsoft Windows software and the Chrome browser. Other issues include Apple devices using the Safari browser. If you have an issue with Apple phone, tablet or laptop, try adding the Google Chrome browser app to the Apple device.

Transcript order requests and transcript payments cannot be made by phone, e-mail, from friends, your spouse or relatives in accordance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. There are no exceptions to this policy. NMU does not accept transcript requests by email or fax.

If you are unable to resolve your technical problem, you can email or phone transcripts @ 906-227-1213 during business hours.

International Student Payment Processing

In some foreign countries, extra credit card security protocols have been installed. This is due to international security standard measures when it comes to transactional websites which require the use of credit cards. If your credit card payment will not process, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse Customer Service Team. 

Phone:  (011+1) 703-742-4200



The National Student Clearinghouse Customer Service Team work with you and the computer team to provide a temporary access tunnel to the website to place your transcript order.


NMU Transcript Key

The transcript key is included with all electronic transcripts issued. The transcript key is a separate file included as an attachment with the transcript.

NMU Transcript Key (PDF)

If you have questions, please e-mail:

Fall/Winter Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST.

Summer Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. EST. (Summer hours begin May 8)

Transcript Phone: (906) 227-1213.