NMU students may request to complete their final credits at another accredited college or university. To be considered, you must 1) have a minimum NMU cumulative GPA of 2.0; 2) meet the minimum GPA requirements established by your major and minor departments; 3) obtain written approval from your department head and have all courses approved prior to enrollment at another institution; 4) obtain permission from the NMU Registrar’s Office by submitting the Request to Complete Degree Away form; and 5) have processed a Guest Student Application form through the Registrar’s Office.

If a student qualifies for completing  their "degree away" they should follow the steps below

  • Refer to the Transfer Equivalency site to ensure that courses will transfer
  • Complete a Guest Student Application     
  • Complete a Request to Complete a Degree Away 
  • Return all completed forms along with a copy of your course schedule verifying enrollment to degaudit@nmu.edu
  • If you have not been enrolled at NMU for more than one calendar year, you must apply for re-entry through NMU Admissions at nmu.edu/admissions/reentry

  • Register for NMU graduation the semester you plan to complete the courses. If you are not registered we have no way of knowing that you plan to graduate. You must register for graduation on MyNMU prior to 5:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of the semester.  

  • Request your official transcript be sent to NMU, once the final grade has been posted. Mail the official transcript to:    

Northern Michigan University
Registrar's Office
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855

Degree Completion Information

Please note, NMU confers degrees three times a year in May, August and December. If final transcripts and/or approvals are not in a student's file, a degree will not be awarded. The student's graduation date will be postponed until all required documentation is received in the Registrar's Office and their degree will be awarded at the next conferral date.