All name changes require official documentation. Provide a copy of your updated Social Security card and an updated state I.D. with picture (example: drivers license) or U.S. Passport. Submit the documentation with a Student Record Change form.

In person, you can change your name at the Student Service Center, 2201 C.B. Hedgcock. Business hours are from 8 a.m-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. During the summer, business hours are from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Bring your updated Social Security card and an updated state I.D. with picture or U.S. Passport.

In order to change your name by mail or fax, fill out the address change form or write a letter stating your new name, university I.D. number and signature. Provide a photocopy of your updated Social Security card and an updated state I.D. with picture or U.S. Passport. Mail or fax the required information to the Registrar's Office. Please allow one week for processing.

Student Record Change Form PDF

NMU is taking all necessary precautions  to protect the validity of academic records and to provide additional protection from possible identify theft. The university requires that name changes be updated with the Social Security Administration office prior to changing your name at NMU. The name change requested must be identical to the name which appears on your new Social Security card. The processing of federal financial aid awards are tied to a national database that uses the social security number and the name on the Social Security card as provided by the Social Security Administration. For current students, if the name listed in the NMU database does not match the federal database, financial aid cannot be awarded.

Note: As of September 1, 2004, the Social Security number has been no longer used as a person's principle identifier at NMU. Currently enrolled students use a randomly assigned NMU identification number for identification purposes. Only staff with a legitimate need (such as payroll or financial aid staff member) will have access to a student's Social Security number after the name change is made.