Overview Information

Internships are career-related experiences that are mentored by non-NMU supervisors which NMU students engage in and receive credit for as BI499. 

If you are interested in doing an internship for credit in Biology (BI 499 Internship, 1-6 credits), there are a number of forms to complete. In brief, you need:

Once you have identified an internship to pursue, the Biology Department's Internship Coordinator can assist you in navigating the necessary paperwork.  Currently the Internship Coordinator is Dr. Diana Lafferty.

Affiliation Agreements

Internships undertaken by NMU students for which the student will obtain university credit (BI 499 Internship, 1-6 credits) require that an Affiliation Agreement be established between the supervising authority for the internship program and the university. The Biology Department has established affiliation agreements with several agencies/organizations (some of which are listed below).  A complete list of organizations which have Affiliation Agreements on file can be found here.

  • Alger Conservation District
  • Child Family Health International
  • Detroit Zoological Society (Detroit Zoo)
  • Fellow Mortals Wildlife Rehabilitation (Lake Geneva, WI)
  • Gwinn-Sawyer Veterinary Clinic
  • Hiawatha National Forest (US Dept of Agriculture)
  • Michigan Department of Natural Resources
  • Minnesota Sea Grant
  • Minnesota Zoological Gardens
  • Negaunee Veterinary Clinic
  • Northern Veterinary Associates
  • Superior Watershed Partnership
  • UP Animal Welfare Shelter
  • UP Land Conservancy
  • Wildlife Prairie Park (Illinois)

Affiliation Agreement Forms

If there is not an existing affiliation agreement in place with an internship program or agency that a student intends to work with, it is necessary to complete the appropriate Affiliation Agreement Form.  There are separate forms for paid or unpaid internships, and for NMU-placed practicums. A representative from the internship program must complete and sign the appropriate form well in advance of the start of the internship. Once completed, this form should be sent to the Biology Department to the attention of the Internship Coordinator, who will route it to the appropriate NMU personnel for signatures.

Affiliation agreement forms (necessary if an agreement is not already in place - see above):

Additional Internship Forms

Work Experience Registration Form is used to register for BI 499-Internship. Generally, the "Instructing Faculty" on this form will be the Internship Coordinator. Once the form is completed by the student and advisor, it must be brought to the Biology Department for approval by the Department Head and Dean.

A Learning Agreement must be completed by the student and their supervisor in the internship program. A template to use for designing the Learning Agreement can be found here.

An Informed Consent form is not required for every internship but is required for those internships where there is risk of injury or death in the activities associated with the internship. Students should discuss the possible risks with the internship supervisor and complete this form if the internship involves significant risks.

Evaluation forms must be completed at the end of the internship. Both the student and the internship supervisor must complete separate evaluation forms.  These should be returned to the Biology Department.

A COVID-19 Student Agreement and Release form must be completed by the student.  There are separate versions of the form for students participating in extra-curricular learning experiences versus practicums.  In general, biology students who are pursuing internships will make use of the learning experience form.

Non-Discrimination Statement

Northern Michigan University is committed to providing a learning, living and working environment free from discrimination. NMU supports the Title IX* federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, including: gender based discrimination, pregnancy and parenting discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, domestic violence, voyeurism, and any other conduct of a sexual nature that is nonconsensual.

Title IX covers any area where an NMU student is assigned for placement (e.g. student teaching) and/or participates in an internship arranged or initiated by the University, during their term at NMU.  

The University cares about you.  If you believe you are experiencing or experienced sex discrimination, in a university or non-university sponsored placement and/or internship, please report.  The University has resources and support information available for you.

To report, please contact:

Complaints against employees, applicants, and third parties 
Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer and Title IX Coordinator
105 Cohodas Building

Complaints against students 
Mary Brundage
Associate Dean of Students
Deputy Title IX Coordinator
2001 Hedgcock

Public Safety and Police Services
158 Services Building

*Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."