Requirements for International Student Employees

International students can work on-campus.  Off-campus employment requires written permission from the International Programs office. 

In accordance with their visa requirements, international students are permitted to work up to 20 hours/week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours/week during vacations. 

You must be enrolled full-time during the fall and winter semesters. 

You may not work after your program end date  unless you have written permission from the International Programs office.

Benefits of Working

  • Establishing a work history to include on your resume
  • Acquiring employment references
  • Developing contacts to assist with your full-time job search
  • Experiencing less debt upon graduation
  • Becoming a more integrated member of the on- and/or off-campus community
  • Meeting new people
  • Achieving higher grades in school

Looking for a Job

Where to look for an on-campus job:

  1. Handshake - Career Services' online career platform
    • Log into MyNMU and click on 'Handshake' under the 'Student Services' tab
    • In Handshake, click on 'Jobs,' then 'On-campus'
    • For a list of tutorials and Frequently Asked Questions, click here.
  2. Housing & Residence Life and Recreational Sports applications can be found here.  Turn these applications into the department in which you are applying.
  3. Job postings for Dining Services, the Educational Access Network and the HelpDesk can be found here.
  4. Work for a specific department - Click here for a list of departments and their contact information so that you may contact them directly. 
  5. Off-campus positions (with special permission): 
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - F1 visa students
      • CPT is for students who are interested in doing an internship or are required to do practical experience off campus as part of their degree.
    • Optional Practical Training (OPT) - F1 visa students
      • OPT is work authorization to allow an F1 student to work in his/her field of study. This can be Pre- or Post-degree completion. 
    • STEM Optional Practical Training - F1 visa students
      • This is for students in a STEM degree - you can apply for an additional 24 months of STEM OPT after your original 12 months of OPT.
    • Economic Hardship - F1 visa students
      • This is for current F1 visa students who are attending NMU who have had a substantial change in their certification of finances.
    • Academic Training - J1 visa students
      • Academic training is for J1 visa students who are interested in getting real world experience in their field of study during their time at NMU.
Need help with your resume?

When Hired

View a list of necessary documents (I-9, Federal W-4, Michigan W-4, Direct Deposit Authorization Form) upon being hired at NMU. (Remember you'll need original copies to prove your identity!)

Once you find a job, you will need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN)

  • Receive a job offer and have your supervisor fill out the F1 or J1 offer letter.
  • Make an appointment with the International Programs Office to complete the Social Security Application Process
    • Social Security Application
    • I-20 or DS 2019
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-94

Taxes - all international students are required to file taxes regardless if you worked or not.