Every job seeker, whether a new college graduate or a seasoned professional, needs a resume. Resumes document your accomplishments, provide your employment history, supply reference information for those who can support your job search, and allow you to track your professional career.
There is no one correct way to do a resume, but there are some things to keep in mind.
Below are two templates created by Career Services to assist you in first putting together your resume.
- Click to download the file.
- Take a look at all [bracketed] sections. The brackets indicate areas where you need to highlight, delete, and replace with your own information.
Resume Workshop Resources
Below are resources used in Career Services' resume workshop. Utilize these resources when creating your application materials.
Need More Help?
- Attend a Resume Workshop
- View Frequently Asked Questions about Resumes
- View resume resources in Handshake (click on 'Career Center' in the top menu, then 'Resources').
- To review your resume with a staff member in Career Services, schedule an appointment by calling 906-227-2800, chatting with us (green circle in the lower right corner of our website), or set it up in Handshake (click on 'Career Center,' then 'Appointments,' and follow the steps.
When Your Resume is Ready
- Upload it to your Handshake account. Click on your name in the upper right corner, and then click 'Documents' on the dropdown menu.
- Change your profile visibility to 'Community'. You must change your profile to 'Community' in order to participate in 1:1 and group sessions and engage with other students/alumni. Click on your initials in the upper right corner, then 'Settings & Privacy,' then choose 'Community.'
- Get copies of your resume printed for free on high-quality paper - come to the Career Services office, 3302.3 C.B. Hedgcock.
Handshake also allows you to:
- Search and apply for job opportunities online 24/7 (save frequent searches, receive emails when a job fits a saved search)
- Access personalized job recommendation based on your major and interests
- Manage multiple resumes, cover letters, and other employment-related documents
- Sign up for on-campus interviews
- View upcoming events - job fairs, workshops, etc.
- Students: Log into MyNMU and click on 'Handshake' under the 'Student Services' tab. Alumni: click here to log in.