What is Career Coaching?
Career coaching is a tool you can use to help figure out what you want to do with your major after graduation. You’ll identify some good career goals, then we’ll break it down into actionable steps. You’ll have support – someone to bounce questions off of, help finding resources, and someone to keep you accountable. You commit to three in-person appointments per year (that works out to just about every other month – so easy!).
We have limited space available for this program, so if you're interested, please call to make an appointment - (906) 227-2800. Your appointment doesn't have to be for this week, or even next, just schedule your first appointment to join. Make sure to let the receptionist know that you are scheduling your first Career Coaching appointment.
Benefits of the Program
- Gives you a boost in connecting class and work
- Create an 'action plan' - you'll know what steps you need to take to figure out what you want to do with your major (or get extra help figuring out what majors might lead to the jobs you're interested in!)
- Extra support when you're trying to answer those tough questions
- Accountability - Often times the only thing holding someone back is having an accountability partner – someone to keep you on track and encourage you to meet your goals
What to Work On
Short-term goals, like what you want to accomplish in the next few weeks or so. This might be something like polishing a resume, preparing for an interview, or learning how to negotiate a starting salary.
Long-term goals, like exploring what jobs connect your strengths and skills learned from your major or learning how to build a network.
Some other goals ideas could include:
- Land an internship
- Update resume and cover letter
- Prepare for an interview
- Develop a new skill set
- Lay out a new job search strategy
- Create a long-term career plan
Frequently Asked Questions
It doesn't matter where you are in school! - Since you lead the process and set your goal, you can choose whatever feels right and appropriate for you. We have had students (and alumni!) of all ages participate in this program.
It doesn't matter what your major is! - You don't have to be in a pre-professional program to get the most out of this - in fact, those of you in fine arts and liberal arts may find it MOST helpful to think about careers now!