Resiliency Options for Nursing Students
NMU Counseling and Consultation – From Telehealth to individual counseling sessions, utilize the resources available from NMU.
Gratitude - Gratitude can increase your happiness and wellbeing, life satisfaction, even overall health while decreasing anxiety, depression, and anger. Having a gratitude habit helps train your brain to notice and appreciate the little things in life and, in doing so, shifts your life experience tremendously. Make a short gratitude list each day or notice items throughout the day (“I am grateful for…hot shower, coffee, sunshine, etc.”), say thank you to the helpful people in your life, and keep thinking of ways to appreciate where you currently are.
Exercise – Exercise helps prevent and improve a number of health problems, including high blood pressure, diabetes and arthritis. Research on depression, anxiety and exercise shows that the psychological and physical benefits of exercise can also help improve mood and reduce anxiety. Here are some options to explore:
- Asahi Nordic (offered at NMU as a HP course) – This course is featured since a session was offered during the October 2022 Resiliency Conference and received many positive reviews.
- Other HP course offerings include jogging, weight training, karate, tai chi, yoga, archery, golf, hiking, rock climbing, scuba, and more.
- See NMU Rec Sports for more flexible options such as equipment rental, climbing wall, club sports, and fitness classes.
- Walk – Take time to enjoy a walk in the woods, around Presque Isle, along the lakeshore, or just to and from classes.
Social Support - How resilient we are may have as much to do with our social circle of support—our communities, our institutions, our cultural expectations—as it does with our personal strengths. Explore the nursing student group below or search for other organizations that share your interests on The Hub.
NMU Nursing Student Groups:
- Student Nurses Association (SNA) – The Student Nurses Association (SNA) is a group of nursing students that meet to discuss nursing trends. It allows the students a sounding board for issues within the program, educates them about nursing issues that will affect them in their professions and offers advice regarding job types and information about interviewing. We also help organize fundraising events such as annual charity ball, 5K run/walk, penny wars, and more.
- Multicultural Student Nurses Association (MSNA) - Committed to recognizing nursing students of color and celebrating different ethnic and racial backgrounds. Offers peer/mentoring support.
- Nurses Christian Fellowship (NCF) - NCF's mission is to uniquely transform the nursing profession through: Biblically grounded communities, effective faith sharing, and comprehensive resources that support integrated whole-person care for and by the nurse.
Other Options to Explore
- Breathing techniques
- Sleep schedule