Award Criteria and Nomination Information
Nominations can be submitted by friends, family, faculty and staff. Please take a moment to review the criteria for each award. When you've determined the best fit for your nomination, complete the appropriate form.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations must be received by December 31 annually for the upcoming review cycle and will remain active for three years.
- Comprehensiveness of the nomination is taken into consideration during the review process.
If you have any questions, please contact Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-227-2610.
Distinguished Alumni Award
The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor the NMU Alumni Association can bestow upon a graduate of NMU. This award recognizes a graduate who has made transformative contributions to their discipline, profession or society. Other factors include demonstrated leadership, international recognition, and/or honors received that clearly distinguishes individuals from their peers.
Alumni Achievement Award
This award recognizes a graduate who has notable professional achievements on a local or regional level. Other factors include contributions to their community and documented leadership at the regional or local level.
Outstanding Young Alumni Award
This award recognizes a graduate under 36 years of age, as of December 31 in the year submitted, who has distinguished themselves with great success at this stage of their life through one or more of the following:
Exceptional accomplishment in their chosen profession
Exceptional community or civic service
Exceptional service in support of NMU
Alumni Service Award
This award recognizes a graduate who demonstrates exemplary service to their community OR Northern Michigan University as follows:
- Community: This individual’s volunteerism, civic endeavors or contributions to their community have been outstanding. They have impacted positively the life of others and have been recognized for their contributions.
- NMU: This individual has demonstrated exceptional service in support of the advancement and continued excellence of NMU as volunteers and/or leaders.