The Office of Graduate Education and Research at Northern Michigan University encourages an education that:
- Upgrades professional competence by providing programs designed to train for careers in a wide variety of areas
- Prepares individuals for advanced academic work, particularly in the academic disciplines
- Provides research opportunities such that the student becomes knowledgeable regarding research techniques and participates actively in research
- Serves the unique needs of students by providing post-baccalaureate educational opportunities for individuals and groups at convenient geographic locations and times
- Serves the university and the student by:
- Providing a synergy between undergraduate and graduate student learning and faculty research
- Contributing to the provision of a cost-effective education that enhances learning and career opportunities for future success in both the realm of the discipline and society's ever-evolving demands
Commitment to Social Equity
Graduate Studies and Research stands with the Black Lives Matter movement and with indigenous communities who have long sought justice; we condemn and seek to dismantle systemic, institutionalized racisim and discrimination and actively work to perpetuate social justice, access to opportunity, and equity in teaching and learning. In partnership with graduate and research academic programs, we seek to help students develop the conceptual frameworks and analytic methods necessary to understand social and economic forms of injustice and thereby empower students of all backgrounds to develop the leadership skills necessary to build a better, more just society.
We confirm our commitment to respect all perspectives and beliefs, to welcome and support all races, ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and sexual and gender identities. Graduate degrees are a pathway to opportunity and advancement; equitable access to advanced learning and research opportunities is essential for all students to successfully reach academic, personal, and professional goals.