Graduate Student Opportunities and Information
We've assembled a list of resources on this page that may be helpful to stay connected with NMU, fund your education, explore Marquette and more.
If you were unable to find the information you were looking for, please contact us and we’ll do our best to assist you. We can be reached at 906-227-2300 or email@example.com.
Reminder: Northern Michigan University uses a student’s NMU email account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information. As a condition of enrollment, all NMU students are required to use their assigned NMU email accounts to receive communication from the university.
- Forms for Graduate Students
- Academic and Career Advisement Center
- Athletics and Recreation
- Counseling and Consultation Center
- Career Services
- Dining Options
- Food Pantry
- Gender Neutral Bathroom Location List
- Health Center
- Living In Marquette
- Lydia Olson Library
- NMU A to Z
- NMU Bookstore
- Public Safety
- Research Information
- Student Equity and Engagement Center
- Wildcat Student ID Card
- Wildcat Wellbeing
- Writing Center
College of Graduate Studies and Research Trainings
Our department regularly covers topics like thesis formatting and submission, research compliance, grant funding, and how to present research. Trainings are usually 1 hour long and light refreshments are provided.
The Graduate College also organizes a research competition (Three Minute Thesis) and Celebration of Student Scholarship annually. You can find out more about each event on their respective webpages.
NMU's Career Services Office hosts a variety of skill builder workshops throughout the year where students can learn about honing resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews, and more. Workshops hosted by Career Services are open to all NMU students, and last approximately one hour.
Access to the Outdoors
The NMU Recreational Sports department can help you explore the natural environment of Marquette and the Upper Peninsula with equipment from the Outdoor Recreation Center. Rental items available include camping, boating, and snow equipment, such as sleeping bags, snowshoes, cross country skis, stand up paddleboards, and kayaks.
Registering for Graduation
If you plan to graduate at the end of the semester, you must register for graduation. Complete the Graduation, Request to Add form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. Once submitted, a degree audit will be completed to determine eligibility for graduation. The deadline for registering for graduation is the first Thursday of the semester at 5 p.m. See the Registrar's website for more information.
Graduate Student Commencement Regalia
Graduation regalia is purchased through the NMU Bookstore. For pricing details refer to the NMU Commencement website. Please note that graduate students DO NOT receive honors cords so do not buy them (everyone graduating with a masters is in the 'with honors' category). All graduate students who order commencement regalia should receive:
- Black robe
- Black cap
- Hood that aligns with your program of study
- Tassel that matches the velvet color on your hood
Graduate Program Hoods
Graduate hoods are program specific. Refer to the list below to ensure you order the correct hood.
- Administration of Outdoor Recreation and Nature Based Tourism - Peacock Blue
- Biology (Including Integrated Biosciences and Postsecondary Biology Education) - Gold
- Business (including Accounting) - Drab Tan
- Education (Including: Early Education, Instruction, Learning Disabilities, Reading, Education Administration) - Light Blue
- Clinical Molecular Diagnostics - Gold
- Computer Science - Gold
- Creative Writing, Master of Fine Arts - Dark Brown
- English - White
- Health and Human Performance (Exercise Science & Athletic Training) - Sage Green
- Mathematics - Gold
- Nursing - Apricot
- Psychological Sciences (Including Psychology and Applied Behavioral Analysis) - Gold
- Public Administration - Peacock Blue
- Social Work - Citron