Congratulations and Welcome!
Congratulations on your graduate student admission to Northern Michigan University! We’ve designed this page to help you with the next steps to enrollment at NMU.
If you have further questions please contact your academic department or the Graduate Office at email@example.com or 906-227-2300.
Your MyNMU account provides online access to resources and information including course registration, financial aid estimates, textbook ordering, eBill statements, Public Safety services, campus employment, academic feedback, and much more. It also links to your NMU email and our online course management system.
NMU uses your MyNMU email account to distribute information to you, including legally required notices. It is important to set up your account as soon as possible and check it regularly.
NMU Computer Distribution
If you are a web-based full-time student and would like to use a NMU mobile device, see the off-campus mobile device policy and contact (906) 227-2818. Students that are not full-time may choose to rent a mobile device See the Mobile Device Rental Policy for information.
EduCat is NMU's online learning portal. If you are an online student or take any course online, you must complete the Online Course Preparation Tutorial prior to accessing online courses. The tutorial is a self-paced module in NMU EduCat that provides information about the strategies, tools, and technology needed to be a successful online learner at Northern Michigan University. The tutorial is a one-time requirement. After completing it, you will gain access to all of your currently ongoing online courses within 20 minutes, and you will not be prompted to complete it again in future semesters.
Planning for Attendance
- Complete your FAFSA and send it to NMU to determine your eligibility with our Financial Aid Office.
- Schedule a Tour (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Learn about ways to fund your degree
- Plan your housing
- Get your Wildcat Express Card
- Sign up for The Hub. The Hub is NMU's community platform, where you can see and register for upcoming events, view campus groups, and connect with others.
- Explore on-campus dining meal plans and locations
- Plan Ahead: view upcoming workshops and events for graduate students and reserachers. Subscribe to the Graduate Studies and Research Events Calendar to get updates throughout the year.
- Explore student employment and career opportunities
- Get involved. All graduate students are members of the Graduate Student Association, organized by and for graduate students.
- Learn about how to fund your scholarly activites through grants and awards. Plan ahead for deadlines and requirements!
- Explore campus and local resources for commuter and nontraditional students
You can also start meeting people now through NMU's social community on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and with the hashtag #shareNMU. The College of Graduate Studies and Research also has its own presence on LinkedIn.
Degree and Academic Information
All graduate students seeking a degree or certificate should work closely with their departmental academic advisor to schedule courses.
- Graduate Bulletin - To view classwork required for degrees
- Academic Honesty
- Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) NMU uses CAPP as an advising tool for both students and advisers to evaluate coursework against degree requirements.
- Grading System (Must have at least a 3.0 overall GPA with no more than six (6) credits below a B)
- Master's Degree Requirements & Capstone Project
- Repeating Courses - A maximum of two courses may be repeated and each may be repeated only once
- Retention Standards - Degree grade requirements and probation/suspension information
- Time Limitation - Courses expire after seven (7) years
If you are a non-degree student you don’t need to meet with an advisor and can register yourself using these instructions.
Northern is located in the city of Marquette (pop. 20,000) in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The city combines a dramatic natural wonderland of shoreline, forest and hills with a vibrant cultural community, progressive education, business and healthcare. Residents are known for their can-do attitude and warm friendliness, despite the area receiving over 180 inches of snow each year.
- Academic Calendar
- Alcohol/Drug Policy
- Bike Registration and Bike Storage
- Wildcat Shuttle Bus Service (see Marq-Tran for service off campus)
- Career Services (on- and off-campus jobs)
- Clery Act (Crime Statistics)
- Counseling/Mental Health
- Emergency Notifications (sign-up for emergency text alerts)
- Events Calendar
- Financial Aid
- LGBTQ+ Resources & Support
- Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate Student Association (GSA)
- Graduate Assistantships
- Health Center
- Help Desk (mobile device software help/ Micro Repair for hardware)
- Inclement Weather Policy
- Lake Superior Swimming
- Mobile Device Information
- Mobile Device Repair (mobile device software help/ Micro Repair for hardware)
- Library - Distance Services (many services are offered for students not on campus)
- Measles Immunization Policy
- The North Wind (student newspaper)
- Outdoor Recreation Center
- Phone Numbers
- Radio - WNMU Public Radio 90, WUPX Student Radio
- Records (name/address changes, official transcripts, etc.)
- Recreational Sports Membership
- Residency Policy/Requirements
- Snow Days (inclement weather)
- Student Enrichment (student organizations, etc.)
- Student Government (Associated Students of NMU)
- Student Handbook
- Student Organizations
- TV - WNMU Public TV13
- Veteran Services
- Wildcat Shuttle (on-campus bus service)
- Writing Center (help with written assignments)
This is a partial list of available resources and is intended as a starting point. Existence on the list does not imply endorsement by Northern Michigan University. Please research all of your available options.
- Commuter Student Information
- Marquette Bus Service (Marq-Tran, NMU students ride free on fixed routes during the school year by showing ID card)
- Indian Trails Bus Service
- Sawyer International Airport (approximately 1/2 hour south of NMU--airport code MQT)
- Housing - NMU Dean of Students off-campus housing list
- Medical Resources - Marquette General Hospital, Peninsula Medical Center
- Post Office (set-up local PO Box and mail forwarding)
- Secretary of State (driver's license, car registration, voter registration)
- TV stations - WLUC, WBUP/WBKP
- Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Wikipedia)
- Weather Information