Fall 2022 Workshops
Keep an eye out for our Fall semester workshops! We'll be talking about grad school, research, student life, and making a place to connect with fellow grads.
Three Minute Thesis
NMU began its annual participation in the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition in 2018 and continues to expand its programming. Each year, NMU students will compete for recognition, prizes, and a spot in the regional competition. Three Minute Thesis was developed by The University of Queensland (UQ) in 2008. "3MT cultivates students’ academic, presentation, and research communication skills. The competition supports their capacity to effectively explain their research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience."
Each candidate is limited to three minutes and one static PowerPoint slide to aid in the presentation of their thesis research. Students must be actively enrolled in a graduate program and must present original research.
First Place and People’s Choice: Caro Els - School of Health and Human Performance, Exercise Science - Advisor: Dr. Randall Jensen - MAXIMUM EXTERNAL LOAD DURING MAX SQUAT PROTOCOL WITH DIFFERENT ABDOMINAL STABILIZING MANEUVERS
Runner Up: Nicole Thomas - Department of Psychological Sciences - Advisor: Dr. Amber LaCrosse - Relationship Between Apolipoprotein E Gene Expression and Chemotherapy Induced Cognitive Impairment
First Place and People’s Choice: Mandy Bonesteel - Sociology - The Case Against Meritocracy
Runner Up: Gwen Murray - Mathematics - Advisor: Dr. Joshua Thompson - Surfaces as Interplay Between Topology, Geometry, and Algebra
2022 Judging Panel:
Tom Anthos - President, Trimedia, Chairman of the Board of Directors for Innovate Marquette Smartzone
Dan Arnold - Director, Superior Health Foundation
Amy Berglund - Director of Business Initiatives, InvestUP
Meagan Morrison - Social Responsibility Advisor, Eagle Mine
- Graduate 1st Place Winner: Emily Griffith, Biology
- Graduate Runner-Up: Xochitl Delgado, Psychological Sciences
- Graduate People's Choice: Emily Klinkman, Exercise Science
- McNair 1st Place Winner: Stephanie Baklarz, Medicinal Plant Chemistry
- McNair Runner-Up: Ashley Martinez, History
- McNair People's Choice: Jalen Sims, Graphic Design
The winners received prizes for their accomplishments, and the graduate first-place winner will represent NMU at the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools 3MT competition in March 2021.
Thank you to our judges:
Debb Brunnell, Director of Workforce Services, Michigan Works
Nathan Larsen, Nutrition Educator, Marquette-Alger Regional Educational Service Agency (MARESA)
Kristen Lucas, Associate Professor, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, University of Louisville
Chris Standerford, Director of the Seaborg Center, NMU
- 1st place: Madeline Hernstrom-Hill, English Department
- Runner up: Grant Steinacher, Biology Department
- People's choice: Rachael Nelson, Biology Department
- 1st place: Cynthia Benson, Criminal Justice
- Runner up: Shumete Sam, Department of Social Work
- People's choice: Cynthia Benson, Criminal Justice
The first place graduate winner, Madeline Hernstrom-Hill, received $300 and travel to the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools conference to compete at the next level!
Thank you to our judges: Evan Bonsall, Jim LaJoie, Tammy Nyen, and Mike Rochon
- 1st place: Kathryn Bianga, School of Business
- Runner up: Veronica Snow, Biology Department
- People's choice: Jaime VanEnkevort, School of Education, Leadership and Public Service
- 1st place: Cecilia Ruiz, Neuroscience
- Runner up: Brittney Moore, Upper Michigan Brain Tumor Center
- People's choice: Cecilia Ruiz, Neuroscience
The first place graduate winner, Kathryn Bianga, received $500 and travel to the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools conference to compete at the next level!
Thank you to our judges: Lizzie Corser, Jim LaJoie, Chad Mager, Evelyn Massaro, and Jason Nicholas
For information about previous years' 3MT competitions, click here.