Proxy Access – Student Information
Students have the option of sharing certain aspects of their academic record with others through our Proxy Access system. Granting access is done easily through the student’s mynmu account. All they need is the e-mail address of the person they want to give access to. If you would like to grant others access to your academic records, you can do so by following the simple steps outlined below.
Steps to Grant Access
- Log into MyNMU
- Click on the Student Services tab
- Click Proxy Access link in the Main Menu
- Click Add Proxy
- Enter the name and e-mail address of the person to whom you want to grant access
- Click on the “Expand” button next to that person’s name
- Select the appropriate “relationship” from the drop-down menu (Parent/guardian or Other)
- Click on the “Authorization” tab
- Select the items you would like to grant access to
Note: To notify the Proxy what you have given them access to, click on the “Send Authorization e-mail message to Proxy” link.
You may revoke the access you granted to someone at any time by logging into mynmu and getting back into Proxy Management (see instructions above). Expand the record of the person designated as a Proxy. Click “Delete Proxy Relationship.” This person’s rights to review your academic records will immediately be revoked.
Your academic records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). By designating a proxy and granting that person permission to view your records, you are waiving your rights under FERPA and giving Northern Michigan University permission to share specified records with the individual you identified. For more information, visit the FERPA page.
Information Available to Share
Through Proxy Access, students have the ability to share any or all of the following pieces of information with anyone they choose to designate as a Proxy.
- Student Information (Major, Advisor, Residency, etc.)
- Academic Holds
- Student Schedule by day/time
- Final Grades
- Academic Transcripts
- Degree Evaluation
- Address and Phone Numbers
- Emergency Contacts
If a student has granted you access to their records through this system, you may follow the steps below to access that information.
Initial steps to set up a Proxy account and view the information authorized:
- You, as the proxy, will receive a “New Proxy E-mail” with a link, Action Password, and directions on setting up a proxy account.
- Following the directions in the E-mail, you will set up a secure password into the system.
- You will then create a brief profile. Name and e-mail address are required.
- A tab with the student’s name will show. When you click on this tab, links to the authorized information will show. As you click on these links, new pages will open with the requested information. Note: if there is not a list of authorized information, that means the student has not selected any items for you to view. The student must go back into their account and select the items they wish to grant you access to; NMU staff cannot grant access.
Returning to Your Proxy Account & Confidentiality
Returning to your Proxy account:
- Once you have set your account up, you may return to the login web page and enter your e-mail address and PIN to gain access at any time.
- If you forgot your PIN, you are able to re-set it from this page.
- If you log in and there is no information showing, that means the access has either not been granted, been taken away, or expired. You should talk directly with the student about granting you access; NMU staff cannot grant access.
Student records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (www.nmu.edu/registrar/ferpa). By designating you as a proxy, the student is granting you permission to view their confidential records. The records are still the student’s, and information within those records is confidential and should not be shared with others.