Career Technical Education
Career and technical education (CTE) focuses on high-demand, high-skill and relatively high-wage occupations. It seeks to better connect the skills and degrees that students are pursuing with the jobs that are currently available and expected to grow within the next ten years. Many of these careers are in the professional trades, business and information technology fields, health care and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) areas.
Open the CTE Magazine to watch videos, take a personality quiz to find your perfect career match and open your mind to all the possibilities!
High-paying, hands-on jobs of the future
It’s a great time to consider a career in the professional trades!
These include careers in a wide variety of areas, from agriculture to renewable energy, carpentry to cybersecurity, radiography to robotics, and many more.
The good news is that there are many opportunities for high school students in Marquette and Alger Counties to explore these occupations, apprenticeships and 1- to 4-year college programs.
- A half-million jobs will available in these fields in Michigan by 2024
- They earn 45% higher wages compared to all occupations
- They are hands-on and critical to our lives!
- Health care, computer sciences, business and professional rrades jobs make up more than half of the 50 fastest-growing career fields in Michigan.
Check these out!
Check out the Fifty Fastest Growing Careers in the United States through 2029.
Read the 2021 Career Technical Education Magazine related to this website.
The website and magazine are a collaboration between Northern Michigan University and members of the Career Technical Education Committee of Marquette and Alger Counties.
Here are opportunities throughout Marquette and Alger counties on training for these in-demand careers.
- High School Skilled Trades Programs
- High School Health Sciences
- High School Business Programs
- High School Internships
- Northern Promise
- Middle College
- Apprentice Programs
- Business, Finance and Information Technology
- Commercial Truck Driving - CDL
- Construction Management
- Engineering Technology
- Forest Products
- Health Sciences
- Heating & Cooling
- High Tech & Cyber Security
- Hospitality Management
- Industrial Maintenance
- Industrial Technologies
- Line Tech
- Management & Marketing
- Michigan Works!
- CTE Committee
Wage and job growth figures are for Michigan, from the U.S. Department of Labor’s CareerOneStop (careeronestop.org) projected to 2029.