Choose Your Path
Career and technical education (CTE) focuses on high-demand, high-skill and often high-wage occupations. Many of these careers are in the professional trades (plumbing, construction, manufacturing, etc.), health sciences, business and computer technology, agriculture and natural resources.
Marquette and Alger County students can get involved in CTE programs in high school and have many training pathways—from internships to industry certifications and licenses, apprenticeship programs, and college certificates, two- and four-year degrees, and more.
Did you know...
- Around 530,000 jobs will be available in these fields in Michigan by 2028 with 47,000 annual job openings
- They earn 39% higher wages compared to all occupations, with a median salary of $57,000
- They are hands-on and critical to our lives!
Health care, computer sciences, business and professional trades jobs make up more than half of the 50 fastest-growing career fields in Michigan.
Start exploring what excites you!
Get Started Today
- Talk to your school guidance counselor about options available at or through your high school.
- Northern Promise programs enable U.P. high school students to take college courses and earn credits while they are still attending high school. These include the Middle College, Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Enrollment programs.
- Get paid while you learn in any of ten apprentice programs offered through the Upper Peninsula Construction Council
- Ready for college? Depending on your field of interest you could get qualified to work in a year or less. Apply to Northern Michgian University: nmu.edu/apply.
Check these out!
Fifty Fastest Growing Careers in the United States through 2031.
The website and magazine are a collaboration between Northern Michigan University and members of the Career Technical Education Committee of Marquette and Alger Counties.