NMU Dining is dedicated to ensuring guest satisfaction by providing delicious, well-balanced meals and exceptional guest service in a manner that is safe.
The NMU Dining team takes food allergies and dietary restrictions seriously. Our staff receive specialized allergen training and we have an on-site registered dietitian available to meet with students free of charge.
NMU's Registered Dietician
Our Full-time Registered Dietitian, Brett Peterson, has more than 18 years of experience and in-depth knowledge in menu planning, nutrition, and working with students who have specific allergies or dietary needs. Complete the virtual meeting request form below or contact him at email@example.com or by phone at (906) 227-6624.
Allergen Friendly Room: Robin's Nook
Within Northern Lights Dining, Robin’s Nook is our allergen friendy room. Access is restricted to those who have met with our registered dietitian, reviewed the current Policy and Procedures document, and signed the Robin’s Nook User Agreement.
Please contact our Registered Dietitian to set up a meeting. Virtual and phone meetings are available: firstname.lastname@example.org or (906) 227-6624.
Allergens, Intolerances and Our Allergen Friendly Room
The NMU Dining team takes food allergies and dietary restrictions seriously. We encourage individuals with dietary restrictions to contact our registered dietitian, Brett Peterson, to discuss your needs. He can be reached at diningRD@nmu.edu or (906) 227-6624. If you have a food allergy or intolerance, please note the following:
- Allergen Tagging: NMU Dining has identifies soy, wheat, milk, eggs, MSG, tree nuts, peanuts, sunflower, shellfish, fish, and sesame in our products.
- Signage: At Northern Lights Dining, our premier dining hall, menu signs are posted at each station. Under the menu item name, there will be a ‘contains’ line listing any potential allergens/restrictions. At other locations, check the menu or the individual product for allergens.
- Robin’s Nook Allergen Friendly Room: Within Northern Lights Dining, Robin’s Nook is our allergen friendy room.
- Access is restricted to those who have met with our registered dietitian, reviewed the current Policy and Procedures document, and signed the Robin’s Nook User Agreement.
- Please contact our Registered Dietitian to set up a meeting. Virtual and phone meetings are available: email@example.com or (906) 227-6624.
- Click here for our Covid-19 Response Plan.
- NMU Dining Team: Our team is happy to work with you in accommodating your special diet or allergens. Our staff receives training to be aware of food allergies and how to handle situations involving students with food allergies. Feel free to discuss ingredient information with any of our dining services staff.
- MyMenu: Our online resource, MyMenu, can be used to find out what menu selections are for each day of the week.
- Please note: Although NMU Dining has done its best to provide accurate information, we ask diners with food allergies to be responsible about their diets. If you have a life threatening allergy we recommend that you wear a medic alert bracelet and share this information with the Dining Services staff and medical professionals. It may also be prudent to alert your roommate and friends, so they will be able to assist you in the case of a reaction.
NMU Dining has a wide variety of options across campus and there are a number of things we do to support a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle.
- At Northern Lights Dining, vegan and vegetarian items can be found daily. Parsnip is our station that is completely devoted to plant-based offerings.
- Sundre specializes in offering products that are vegan and vegetarian as well as non-GMO, Kosher, organic, fair-trade, and gluten-free.
- The NMU Dining Culinary Team trained with the Humane Society of the United States and their Forward Food program, designed to help institutional food service operations incorporate more plant-based cuisine into their menus. More on this innovative training can be found here.
- Vegan and Vegetarian items can be found at each of our restaurants and retail locations. Check menus and product packaging for allergens.
For further resources contact any of these on- and off-campus resources:
- NMU Dining Services Registered Dietitian
Room 1103, Northern Center, Marquette, MI 49855. firstname.lastname@example.org, (906) 227-6624
- NMU Counseling and Consultation Services
Room 3405 Hedgcock, (906) 227-2980
- Vielmetti Health Center
Gries Hall First Floor, (906) 227-2355
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics contains a wealth of information, contacts, and is a great resource for nutrition questions.
- The National Institute of Health has an entire page with links on “Wellness” that is extensive and helpful.
- The American Heart Association offers information on how to live and eat for optimum heart health.