Teach Grant

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program.  This program provides grant funds to postsecondary students who are completing or plan to complete coursework that is needed to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to serve for at least four years as full-time, highly qualified teacher in a high-need field, in a school serving low-income students.  eligible full-time students may receive $4,000 per year in TEACH Grant funds, up to a maximum of $16,000 for undergraduate and $8,000 for graduate study.

Teaching Obligation

If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required four years of teaching service within eight years after completing the coursework for which you received the grant, or if you otherwise do not meet the requirements of the TEACH Grant Program, all TEACH Grant funds that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, the retroactive interest of 6.8% from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

Service Agreement

You must sign an Agreement each year before receiving a TEACH Grant.  This Agreement to Serve (ATS) is a legally binding document that defines the teaching service obligations you must meet and specifies your repayment obligation if a TEACH Grant that you receive is converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

Be aware that if you receive the TEACH Grant but do not fulfill the stringent requirement of the program, the amount awarded in grant money becomes a loan with interest compounded from the time of the award.

Counseling Sessions

You will be required to complete counseling through the financial aid office each year that you accept a TEACH Grant.  You will also be required to attend Exit Counseling when you graduate or leave school.

High-Need Subject Areas

To be eligible to receive a TEACH Grant at NMU, you must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.25 throughout your academic program, or demonstrate a score above the 75th percentile on a national standardized college admissions test (submit a paper copy of your test scores showing percentile ranking to the Office of Financial Aid)
  • Be accepted into an eligible degree program at NMU (view programs)
  • Undergraduate students are eligible only if they are pursuing their first undergraduate degree.  Students pursuing a second undergraduate degree (including postbaccalaureate students) are NOT eligible for the TEACH Grant
  • Schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Office
  • Sign an Agreement to SERVE (ATS) and complete counseling each year that you receive a grant
  • Complete Entrance Counseling

More in depth information on the TEACH Grant