PAC Route Time to Completion: 4 Semesters
Master’s in Educational Instruction Degree Option: 2 additional courses
If you are committed to improving the learning environments for students in grades 6 to 12 and you have a strong desire to improve your teaching effectiveness, then join us in the online Pedagogy and Certification Route for Secondary Teachers (PAC Route) at Northern Michigan University. This nationally accredited online teaching and learning community will engage you in a purposeful and planned sequence of theory, application, and supervised internships.
The PAC Route design accommodates any working professional’s schedule and assists them in earning their initial Michigan Secondary (grades 6-12) Teaching Certificate within one of the following content areas, or equivalent, for which the professional currently holds a bachelor’s degree:
PAC Route enrollees have graduate student status at Northern Michigan University.
The program is developed by professional faculty who have significant experience teaching in grades 6-12 classrooms. The PAC Route requires four semesters and 28 credits to complete. Through the online PAC Route for Secondary Teachers, you can earn your initial grades 6-12 Michigan subject-area teaching certificate in four online semesters of coursework.
If you wish, you may also earn a Master’s of Educational Instruction by completing an additional five credits of online courses.
Pedagogy and Certification (PAC) Route Application
STEP 1: Submit an inquiry for the Pedagogy and Certification (PAC) Route Program. A PAC Route Program Counselor will contact you about goals, required documents for application, and teaching certification.
STEP 2: Respond to the meeting request from a PAC Route Program Counselor who will help you determine if you are eligible for the PAC Route.
STEP 3: Interview with a PAC Route Program Counselor to determine eligibility and to develop a PAC Route plan of study. The interview and required written materials are also used to gauge English proficiency if the applicant is a non-English native speaker.
Please have the following documents prepared for your interview with the PAC Route Counselor:
- A current resume outlining education, relevant work experience, and skills 简历：概述学历、相关工作经验和技能
- An essay explaining your professional goals 自传：解释您的职业目标
- Unofficial copy of transcripts 在学成绩单（不需官方验证）
STEP 4: Upon approval from your PAC Route Program Counselor, complete the Northern Michigan University application for admission. No verification of finances is required for online Global Campus programs.
- Declare the “Educational Instruction” program， 申请「教育教学」项目
- Pay $50 application fee， 支付50美元的申请费
- English Copy of Transcripts， 英語成绩单
- Education Credential Evaluation， 教育证书评估
- Proof of English Proficiency. 英语水平证明
Pedagogy and Certification (PAC) Route Costs (U.S. dollars)
University provided scholarships or tuition waivers do not exist for the PAC Route.
50USD application fee， 50美元申请费
Standard fee for all graduate student applicants， 一般研究生申请费用
Current graduate tuition rates are established at the in-state tuition rate for all Global Campus online students - https://www.nmu.edu/tuition#extension，比照本州研究生标准收费
Education credential evaluation and English proficiency， 学历验证及英语水平证明
50USD online course fee， 50美元在线课程费用
Charged per credit hour， 按学分收费
Cost of Supplemental Materials， 补充材料的费用
Required materials beyond the online open-source and instructor created materials are the responsibility of the student.
Pedagogy and Certification (PAC) Route Coursework – 100% Online
Semester 1， 第一学期
- ED 541A Improvement of Instruction (3 credits)
- ED 504 Psychology of Education (2 credits)
- ED 506 Cultural Foundations of Education: Historical and Philosophical Dimensions (3 credits)
Semester 2， 第二学期
- ED 562 Introduction to Learning Disabilities (3 credits)
- ED 522 Curriculum Development (3 credits)
- ED 583 Learning Technologies (2 credits)
Semester 3， 第三学期
- ED 505 Measurement and Evaluation (3 credits)
- ED 576 The Teaching of Reading for Secondary Teachers (3 credits)
Apply for ED 584 Internship – PAC Program Counselors will work with you and your school administrator so the internship occurs in the school in which you are employed.
申请ED584实习课程 – PAC顾问将协助您与学校主管协调，安排在职实习。
Semester 4， 第四学期
- ED 584 Internship (6 credits)
The internship occurs in the school and classroom where the participant is employed. An internship requires approval from the participant’s school administrator and/or an on-site peer mentor. An internship agreement will be developed for each individual participant. Program faculty will use video observation, artifacts from the participant’s students, and participant reflections for the assessment, evaluation, and critique. The internship requires 360 hours of teaching for individuals who wish to apply for a Michigan teaching certificate.
- Upon successful completion of all required coursework at a 3.0 or better grade point average, satisfactory performance in the internship, and a passing score for the appropriate MTTC content exam your PAC Route Program Counselor will assist you with the application for a Michigan Teaching Certificate.