The residence halls close each academic year for Thanksgiving Break, Semester Break, and Spring Break. Residence Hall students are permitted to stay during those breaks provided they complete the appropriate process for each with the Housing & Residence Life Office. Information on how to register is contained within each link below and will also be provided by residence hall staff at the appropriate time.
On-campus apartment residents are not required to register, and are permitted to stay in their apartment for those breaks for no charge.
Please see important dates and rate information below as well as links directly to each of the three break periods.
Items of Note
- Similar to when classes are in session, all entrance doors to residence hall buildings will remain locked at all times.
- Lobby desks will have limited hours which will determine when lobby entrances are unlocked.
- Guests, including NMU students from other halls, are not permitted.
- Campus dining options are limited.
Thanksgiving Break – no charge.
- Halls close, Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
- Halls open, Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
Semester Break – weekly rates apply.
- Halls close, Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
- Halls open, Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.
Spring Break – no charge. Online registration for Spring Break is available by visiting the housing portal home page in MYNMU and selecting the blue "Links" button on the right hand side.
- Halls close, Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
- Halls open, Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
The housing contract begins Thursday, August 22, 2019, and ends Sunday, May 4, 2020. There is no additional charge for Thanksgiving or Spring breaks since each is factored into the semester housing charges, whereas the Semester break is not.