FAQs for Future Residents

As a future resident and student of NMU, we know you have a lot of questions. We've assembled this list of frequently asked questions to help you prepare for living on campus at Northern.

At this time, we do not have a paper version of the Residence Hall or Apartment Applications. Only our Summer Housing Applications are available only as a paper version.
If you are not able to complete the application online, please contact us and we will work to mail you a paper copy. Applications

The housing requirement is described in the housing guidelines.

This varies depending on how much financial aid you receive.  Since financial aid is not available before the first room and board payment is due, each student must pay the $50 Room Reservation Fee each year with personal funds.  Financial aid will be applied first against tuition and fees.  Financial aid in excess of financial obligations will be returned to the student.

Check out the Advanced Payment section.

To see residence hall dimensions, as well as a description of different room types, click here

Hall assignments and roommate information (name, address, and telephone number) will be mailed to each student near the beginning of August for those entering in the Fall, and late December for those entering in the Winter.

The fall semester housing contract for residence halls begins at 8 a.m. on the Thursday prior to the beginning of classes.  Students participating in an approved University function (e.g., employed at the University and must arrive early, mandatory team practice, etc.) may be granted permission to arrive early and check into their room.  If a student needs to move in early, they must contact the Housing and Residence Life Office.

You and your friend will each need to request each other after you have both completed your applications. Log into your MyNMU and enter the Housing portal, click "Room Selection" at the top of the page, then "Roommate/Suitemates" to search a person by last name or to use the advanced roommate search if you are not sure who you want to live with. Once you send a request, it will only be honored if the other person confirms that request. 

It's important to remember that your roommate does not need to be your best friend in order to be a good roommate. Discuss the expectations you have for your room before you get to campus. You will receive a roommate and suitemate agreement within the first few weeks that will help you to discuss your expectations. If things are not working out, talk with your RA. They can help you talk with your roommate and try to work through any issues. If that does not work, it may be possible to move rooms. 

If you are looking for additional privacy in the residence halls, we recommend the private shared suites in The Woods complex. In this style, students still have a roommate and suitemates, but each person within the suite has their own private bedroom. 

  • Two twin XL mattresses
  • Two desks and two desk chairs
  • Four, two-drawer stackable dressers
  • Window blinds
  • Ceiling fan (The Woods only)
  • Shower liner
  • Recycling bin/trash can
  • Phone service is provided in The Quad and up-campus but students need to supply their own phone. There are no phone lines in student rooms in The Woods.

Laundry costs are included in the comprehensive fee you pay each semester, so there is no need to save all of your quarters, and there is not a card to re-load on a regular basis. You may do your laundry as often as you need to. You will need to provide your own detergent, which needs to be high-efficiency. Please do not use laundry detergent pods in our equipment. 

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and bathrooms. The desk has brooms, mops and vacuums for rent, but you will need to bring your own cleaning supplies. 

There are community kitchens in all of our residence halls. They are equipped with an oven, stovetop, and refrigerator. The front desk has some cooking supplies you can check out.

Check out our packing list!

Please refer to the Student Handbook.

All students living in residence halls on campus are required to be on a meal plan. The options available to each student depend on class standing as well as hall assignment. 

See Lofts on our Residence Hall Policies page.