Residence Hall Policies
In order to ensure that all residence hall students have the opportunity to enjoy residence hall living to the greatest extent possible and to provide students with a residence hall atmosphere which compliments and enhance their academic endeavors, a number of policies and procedures that influence certain aspects of residence hall living have been developed.
Submit a Maintenance Request:
- Go to the Housing Portal: mynmu.nmu.edu
- Click "More Tasks" then click "Maintenance Request"
- Fill out all information under "Submit a New Maintenance Request". Be sure to indicate a phone number and permission for maintenance to enter if you're not there.
- Click Submit
If there is a maintenance emergency, please contact your front desk, a residence life staff, or our office (906.227.2620) immediately.
Alerting Staff To Door Props
During Thanksgiving Break (through Saturday, November 24):
Please radio the covering resident adviser staff or call them on their room phones.
During the academic year (starting again Sunday, November 25 at 10:00 AM):
The Housing and Residence Life Door Access System has detected the following door prop alerts in the residence halls and/or Woodland Park. Please notify the residence hall staff who will investigate the propped door.
- 7:00 a.m. - Midnight: Please call The Woods front desk at x3000.
- Midnight - 7:00 a.m.: Please radio the security assistant staff or call The Woods front desk at x3000.
General questions regarding the alert system should be forwarded to Housing and Residence Life at 227-2620 during regular business hours.
Campus Mailing Address
Each residence hall room shares a mailbox at the front desk. Mail is delivered and sorted each evening. If you have a package, you will receive a pink package slip in your mailbox. Bring the slip to the desk with your student ID to retrieve your package. The desk accepts mail from USPS, UPS, and FedEX. You can purchase stamps and send USPS mail from the desk.
How to write your address - RESIDENCE HALLS:
First and Last Name
Room # and Hall (refer to below hall names)
Marquette, MI 49855
|Birch East Hall||Hunt Hall|
|Birch West Hall||Van Antwerp Hall|
|Cedar East Hall||Magers Hall|
|Cedar West Hall||Meyland Hall|
|Maple East Hall||Spooner Hall|
|Maple West Hall|
Digital TV's (QAM Tuner Required)
Northern Michigan University's incoming cable signal is digital which means that in order to take advantage of the campus digital cable service, you need a digital TV with a built-in QAM tuner. If the TV does not have the QAM tuner, then the TV will not display any signal or sound. If your TV does not have a QAM tuner, you should either purchase one that does or purchase an aftermarket conversion box. The iView 3500STBII Multi-Function-Converter is one that we have found to work quite well. Housing and Residence Life does not sell these converter boxes.
When setting up a TV, you will need to go into the TV's menu and scan for channels by selecting the autoprogramming mode. Make sure your TV is scanning in the cable mode and not antenna mode. Some televisions can take 15-20 minutes to complete its autoprogramming cycle, so please be patient as it sets up.
If the autoprogramming does not seem to be working in your room there are some things to try before contacting the residence life staff in your building.
- Try your TV and coaxial cable in a room with a working TV signal (suitemate, friend's room, TV room). If it does not work, then try using the coaxial cable from the TV that was working. If that does not work, then you need a new coaxial cable or your TV does not have a QAM tuner.
- Have someone who's TV is working in their room connect to the cable outlet in your room and see if their TV works. If it does, then you either need a new coaxial cable or your TV does not have a QAM tuner. If your friend's television does not work, then contact the Housing and Residence Life office as outlined below.
If you do not have a QAM tuner, the iView 3500STBII Multi-Function-Converter is one that we have found to work quite well.
Questions or Problems
If you experience problems or if the procedures above do not work, please DO NOT contact Charter Communications directly. If you have followed the troubleshooting steps above and it appears as though the cable connection in your room is not functioning correctly, please email the Housing and Residence Life Office at email@example.com and include your name, full campus address, a description of the problem, the make and model of your TV, and a phone number where you can be reached.
Recycling in the Residence Hall
All student rooms are provided with a blue recycling bin. The bin is considered part of the room inventory. When the bin is full, take it outside to the recycling dumpster. Click here to learn more about recycling at NMU.