Join the Student Team!
If you are interested in gaining real-world work experience while earning money, on-campus employment with Housing and Residence Life may be the perfect opportunity for you. Each residence hall offers part-time positions (see below), which can be applied for on Handshake. Resident Adviser and Community Adviser applications become available in October and February (watch for postings) and will be posted on Handshake as well.
Join the Professional Team!
The Housing and Residence Life department employs various Professional Staff positions. These positions range from student life to operations-based. In these roles, staff members have the opportunity to interact with students in order to assist their academic, professional, and personal development. These positions do not open on a set schedule, so be sure to check the hiring portal often. In February, NMU’s Housing and Residence Life staff participates in the Oshkosh Placement Exchange (OPE) to network and outsource placements for Resident Director positions. Please reach out to the Housing and Residence Life Office with any questions.
- Resident Adviser and Community Adviser positions require candidates to apply on Handshake. Candidates whose applications are approved will then be asked to attend Group Process, a collective interview setting. From there, selected candidates will be invited to interview with specific halls. Applications for winter semester open in October; applications for fall semester open in February.
*Please note that the following positions are Federal Work-Study preferred, and all students employed in these positions must be living on-campus.
- Custodian (Apartment and Residence Hall)
- Assist full-time staff to maintain a positive environment in an assigned residence hall or apartment area.
- Desk Receptionist
- Responsible for providing various desk services for residence hall students, conference participants, and other University guests and for minor maintenance and security of designated residence halls.
- Desk Adviser
- The Desk Adviser is responsible for overseeing a residence hall desk operation and assigned staff in conjunction with ensuring that the services provided are beneficial to the students.
- Summer Security Assistant
- Responsible for security of residence hall facilities, equipment, and supplies, minor maintenance, and for initiating departmental response to emergency situations in residence halls after regular business hours and on weekends. This position is a live-in position.
Professional Staff Positions
- Director of Housing and Residence Life
- Associate Director of Residence Life
- Associate Director of Housing Auxilary Operations
- Coordinator of Residence Life
- Coordinator of Apartment Services
- Resident Director
- Executive Administrative Assistant
- Assignment Coordinator
- Principal Administrative Assistant