In order to insure that all apartment tenants have the opportunity to enjoy apartment living to the greatest extent possible and to provide all tenants with a comfortable atmosphere that complements and enhances their academic endeavors, a number of policies and procedures that influence certain aspects of university living have been developed.

Tenants, tenant’s family and guests must observe and comply with NMU’s Student Code and rules and regulations set forth in the lease agreement, as well as any other rules and regulations that the university may adopt.

These descriptions are not intended to be detailed, all-inclusive explanations, but rather brief overviews of the policies and procedures that you will come in contact with during your stay with us.

For more information or details contact your community adviser or the coordinator of apartment services. For information on apartment rates, refer to this page. 

The use of air conditioners in on-campus housing facilities creates the potential for a number of issues to occur including damage to windows and window frames. Additionally, air conditioners use a disproportional amount of electricity in order to operate efficiently.

To prevent these issues from occurring, window air conditioners are prohibited in University apartments. The installation and use of portable, free-standing room air conditioners in University apartments is permitted under certain circumstances.

If a tenant chooses to use a portable room air conditioner, the following conditions must be met and followed:

  1. The unit must be free standing, not a window unit.
  2. The air conditioner must not exceed 16,000 BTU's.
  3. The unit must be installed with a manufacturer's window kit that fits the window in the apartment in which the unit will be installed.  Home-made versions of window kits are not permitted.
  4. The air conditioner's EER (Energy Efficiency Rating) must be higher than 10 which indicates that the unit has an above average energy efficiency.
  5. The tenant must register the air conditioner prior top installation and use.
  6. The tenant agrees to pay the $20 monthly fee from the date the unit is installed through the end of August regardless of the amount of use.  If the air conditioner is installed from the 1st through the 15th of the month, the entire month ($20) will be charged.  If the air conditioner is installed from the 16th through the end of the month, half of the cost of that month ($10) will be charged.  Prorated refunds will only be issued to those tenants who vacate the apartment prior to August 15th.
  7. Once installed, university staff will inspect the unit to make sure it meets the requirements noted above.
  8. If it is determined by university staff that the air conditioner does not meet these conditions, the tenant will remedy the situation within 24 hours or permanently remove the air conditioner.

Registering Your Air Conditioner

Use this form (PDF) to register the air conditioner that will be used in your apartment.  Print the form, fill out the required information, and return the form to the Housing and Residence Life Office (3502 Hedgcock).

Contact the Housing and Residence Life Office (906-227-2874 or 227-2620 or ) for additional information.

The possession and consumption of alcohol is permitted in University apartments for those students and their guests who are 21 years of age or older in accordance with applicable University policies. The University expects responsible behavior from all members of the on-campus apartment community and their guests. 

» View the university's full alcohol policy here

 Northern Michigan University provides apartment housing for:

  • Single students who are at least 21 years old, have lived in a university or college residence hall for at least 4 semesters, or have earned at least 56 credit hours.
  • Married or single parent students who are enrolled in at least 8 credit hours per semester (or a total of 24 credits per year).
  • Single graduate students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester (or a total of 16 credits per year).

Assignment Priorities

Eligible single students, students with families, and faculty and staff members can apply for on-campus apartment housing at any time.  Assignments are made on an on-going basis as apartments become available.  Assignment priorities are based on: the move-in date indicated on the application (earlier move-in dates will be assigned first), and the date the application is received in the Housing and Residence Life Office (first-come, first-served).  An applicant’s position on the pre-assignment list may change as assignments are made, applications are received, and applicants remove themselves from the list. 


Apartment occupancy is permitted by the assigned tenant, his or her spouse, and their dependents provided they are included on the lease.  Requests for exceptions to this requirement should be made in writing to the director of Housing and Residence Life.

Permitted Uses

Use of the apartment is as a residence only and must not involve any business or other activity conducted for profit. Non-commercial babysitting is permitted.

Current apartment tenants are permitted to transfer from one apartment or apartment unit to another so long as the transfer request is received in the Housing and Residence Life Office in a timely manner.

  1. Transfers are granted on the basis of date received, area and type of apartment requested, and the transfer date requested.
  2. Due to the lack of turn-around time necessary to prepare apartments for incoming tenants and the high demand for apartments at the following times, no transfer requests will be granted during the months of July, August, November, December, and January.
  3. Tenants requesting to transfer from one apartment or apartment complex to another must have lived in their current apartment or complex for one full semester before they may transfer to a different apartment or complex.
  4. There is a $75 fee assessed for all transfers.

To request a transfer, download, fill out, and return the Apartment Transfer Request Form (get form here) to the Housing and Residence Life Office (3502 Hedgcock).

Bicycles properly attached to the fixed, covered racks near The Woods, Spalding, Magers, Van Antwerp and Hunt Halls can be left in place.  In addition, the bike rack under the awning of Spooner’s lobby entrance will be left in place. Those bicycles will not be removed by University staff. However, the portable racks located near the covered racks will be moved and the bicycles attached to them must be removed.  Bicycles left on the moveable racks at Thanksgiving Break will be removed and handled according to University abandoned property procedures.

Students living in a residence hall or University apartment will have the option of storing their bicycle in Spooner Hall through the winter months (until around the first week of April).  Students who store their bicycles will receive an email reminder prior to the pick-up dates.

Bike Retrieval

If you register and store your bicycle in Spooner hall during the winter, you will receive an email with information on when to retrieve you bike. This typically occurs near the end of the Winter semester. You will need to bring your student ID when you come to retrieve your bicycle. Specific information will be posted when it has been determined.


  • You must live in University housing.
  • You must have your student ID with you when you take your bicycle to Spooner Hall.
  • Your bicycle must be registered with NMU Public Safety – this can be done at the Spooner Hall desk before your bike goes into storage.

Because of the danger of fire, candles incense are prohibited in residence hall rooms and the university apartments. Also prohibited are items that melt or heat wax or oil. If you're looking for an air freshener, please use one where the oil is completely contained and cannot be spilled.

As you begin the move-out process, it's important that you work cooperatively with your Community Adviser to make sure you avoid unnecessary charges or delays. The first step you need to follow is to make an appointment with your CA for an exit orientation. During this meeting, your CA will provide you with helpful hints and suggestions concerning the condition of your apartment. 

The most important thing to remember is to prepare your apartment as best you can and to work cooperatively with your Community Adviser when checking out.  As always, contact Housing and Residence Life at 906-227-2620 or if you have any questions.

The Woodland Park multipurpose room may be reserved by one or more student organizations for specific activities.  To request permission to do so, a representative from the organization(s) must complete a Common Area Use Application and turn it in to the Woodland Park desk at least 14 days before the date of the activity.

Every enrolled student automatically receives a university computer account which provides access to instructional files and software, e-mail, free dial-in access from off campus and other resources. Students are required to maintain this account which will be used by NMU to send time-critical information to students. The university will use a student’s NMU e-mail account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information.

As a condition of enrollment, all students are required to report at the beginning of each semester the local address at which they will be living. Changes of address between residence hall rooms may be arranged at the reception desk in the hall where the student has been living. Other changes of address must be filed within five class days of the change.

Failure to comply with this policy may result in summary termination of enrollment by the dean of students.

Laundry facilities are located in or near each apartment facility. The laundry facilities are intended for tenant use only. Part of a tenant's rent includes the comprehensive fee that covers laundry and additional services.

Lincoln Townhouses and Lincoln Singles:  There is a large community laundry room located near the Lincoln Townhouses; this is a separate building.  

Norwood and Center Street: There are laundry facilities in each building.

Woodland Park: There are two laundry rooms per floor.  

NMU apartment residents are able to purchase a parking permit from the NMU Parking Services department. Students are permitted to bring a car to campus, and there are parking lots adjacent to each apartment facility. 

For safety reasons, storage of trash, clothing, bicycles or toys, no matter how temporary, is not permitted in the corridors or common areas of the building.  Personal property kept outdoors must be kept in an orderly fashion and not be scattered about on the lawn or parking lot.  Items left in these areas will be confiscated and considered abandoned property.

Neither tenants nor their guests may have in their possession or control any pet, other than fish in a 10 gallon tank, for any length of time in any University apartment or public area. If it is verified that there has been a violation of this condition of the contract, the tenant will be assessed a $250.00 fee and given 48 hours to permanently remove the pet from the apartment. Additional to the $250.00 fee, the tenant will be financially responsible for any damages or cleaning required as a result of the pet being housed in the apartment (i.e. replacement furniture or carpet). A Housing and Residence Life facilities staff member will enter the apartment to assess any damages and determine if any cleaning is necessary.  If the pet is not removed within 48 hours or if a second violation occurs, the tenant will be served an eviction notice for violating the terms of the contract. If a tenant is evicted due to a pet violation, the tenant will still be financially responsible for the original length of the contract, though they will no longer be permitted to reside in the apartment. No refund will be given. Tenants evicted for violating the pet policy will no longer be considered eligible for on-campus housing and future requests will be denied. (For additional information and regulations regarding animals on campus see the University's Student Code and/or Ordinances.) 

Northern Michigan University is a tobacco-free campus.  The use of any tobacco product including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and e-cigarettes is prohibited in or on any property owned by NMU (with the exception of the NMU golf course and personal vehicles with the windows closed).

Please visit for more information.

It is a violation of Northern Michigan University ordinance to bring any lethal or dangerous weapon on the NMU campus.

These include (but are not limited to) rifles, shotguns, handguns and explosive devices that are capable of casting a projectile by explosion, air, gas, chemical or mechanical means.

Students living on campus who own guns for hunting and other purposes must register and store them at NMU Police Department.

You are not allowed to use, carry, transport, store or possess lethal or dangerous weapons or explosives anywhere on the NMU campus. The only exception is that public officials licensed by their profession to carry guns can do so as required by their professional duties.

Additionally, NMU is considered a wildlife, fish and bird sanctuary. As such, shooting, maiming or capturing of wildlife is prohibited.

Read the full NMU Weapons and Explosives policy.

In addition to the items already listed on this page, including alcohol, open flames, pets and tobacco, the following items are also prohibited in University housing facilities.  Please note, the items noted below are not intended to be detailed, all-inclusive explanations, but rather brief overviews of the policies and procedures that you will come in contact with during your stay at Northern Michigan University. For more information or details about concerns that you may have, please contact your resident adviser or resident director.

No students shall possess, use, distribute, sell or manufacture illegal drugs or other controlled substances in any building or on any property owned or controlled by Northern Michigan University, except as permitted by law.  See student handbook 2.3.12   Drugs: Possession, Use or Sale

See student handbook 2.3.29 Weapons.

Dangerous Materials/Chemicals and Open Flames
Dangerous materials and chemicals such as gun powder, gasoline, acid and similar materials are not permitted in the residence halls.   In addition the presence of open flame or embers (i.e., candles, oil lamps, Coleman stoves, etc.), open element burners or hotplates are not permitted in your room. 

Prohibited electrical appliances include, but are not limited to the below.  Contact Housing and Residence Life with questions regarding this regulation.  See student handbook 2.3.24   Residence Life and Dining Facilities for more details.

  • Air fryers without a plastic exterior
  • Appliances in need of electrical repair
  • Candles
  • Clamp-on-bed lamps
  • Electrical heaters
  • George Foreman Grills
    • George Foreman Grills are not permitted in apartments because they create grease that students, in the past, have poured down the drains and caused plumbing problems.
  • Hazardous electrical appliances
  • Heat lamps
  • Hot plates
  • Indoor grills
  • Open-element popcorn poppers
  • Wax warmers or melters

    Hoverboards are not permitted in the university apartments.

    Acceptable products/brands to use for wall hangings.  Any other products/brands used may result in charges on student account as a result of damage(s). 

    • 3M command strips (facility personnel must remove them)