Performance management is more than an annual evaluation. It’s a year-round process designed to help you achieve your highest potential in your role at Northern Michigan University. It’s all about two-way communication. It’s not only WHAT you do – your goals and key accountabilities, it’s also HOW you do your job – values, competencies, and success factors.
At NMU, we believe that employees and managers who work together to understand expectations, set goals, plan work, assess, and revise get better results. This interactive process continues throughout the year and includes periodic feedback sessions and a written year-end review.
LAUNCHING AUGUST 2021
Online Performance Management System
NMU has partnered with PageUp to transition to an online performance management system. The online system allows employees and managers to set goals and expectations, record journal entries to capture year-round progress notes, and complete self-reviews and annual evaluations.
- Access to online goal setting and evaluation features.
- Record performance notes throughout the year using online journaling features.
- Employee option to complete a self-review.
- Online review and acknowledgment of the annual evaluation.
- Access to past reviews completed through the PageUp Performance Management System.
Manager and employee sessions to discuss the first few steps of the process - Goals and Values- and performance management expectations were held late July. You may view them here:
View the NMU Tech Academy Performance Management Training Session to learn more about every step of the system. Training guides are also available for each step of the process.
Performance Management Transition
All employees are to be formally evaluated at least once during each fiscal year (July 1 to June 30). These evaluations are to be completed no later than July 31 of each year. Other evaluation periods may be used with the approval of the Human Resources.
Employees and managers will have access to both the current performance evaluations and the new online performance management system throughout the transition in 2021. To assist with the transition, the process is outlined below:
- July 1 - 31, 2021: Managers will use the current 2020-2021 staff evaluation forms to write the annual evaluation for each direct report and meet to discuss the employee's performance. Goals do not need to be captured on the current forms. Goals should be discussed; however, they will be entered in the new system in August.
- August 2021: Launch of the new performance management system. Employees and managers will receive an email notification to establish goals/projects for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. Employees may add any professional development goals. Managers will also identify values and competencies which are key to the employee's success in the position.
- August 2021 - June 2022: Regular, formal and informal, on-going discussions to review progress towards goals and projects. Online journaling options available.
- June 2022: Employees have the opportunity to complete self-evaluations to reflect and provide comment on accomplishments of the past year.
- July 2022: Managers write the annual evaluation for each direct report and meet to discuss the employee's performance. Final evaluations is acknowledged and the process is complete.
2020-2021 Staff Evaluation Forms
Click here for performance evaluation instructions
- Non-Represented Performance Review through MyNMU
(Senior Administrators, Senior Management, Coaches, Academic Department Heads, Deans)
- Annual Performance Review
- Service Staff Annual Performance Review
(Technical and Office Professional Staff, Food Service/Maintenance, Police Officers)
Goals do not need to be captured on the current forms. Goals should be discussed; however, they will be entered in the new system in August.
2021-2022 Performance Management
All staff employees and managers will utilize the new online performance management system beginning August 2021. An email notification will be sent in launching this process.