Come Join us at NMU!
There are a lot of great things happening in the NMU Department of Music! Maybe you've thought about majoring or minoring in music? Perhaps you simply want to play in an ensemble, sing in a choir, or take a class about the Beatles? Or maybe you just want to check out one of the many concerts we present on campus every semester... Whatever your interests may be, there's a place for you here!
Check out the NMU Department of Music Digital Viewbook!
Whenever possible, Department of Music concerts are streamed live on the NMU School of Music, Theatre, and Dance Broadcasting Network. This subscription service allows us to broadcast live presentations and provide viewers with on-demand access to archived material, while insuring that we are 100% copyright compliant at all times. (Archived material will only become available on the network when all copyright clearances have been obtained - this usually takes at least 2-3 weeks.) Just click the button below to learn more!
The exciting sounds of ensembles
Students from any major can be a part of our group performance ensembles! There are also opportunities to perform with the community orchestra, band and choral society and at festivals and gigs around town.
- Arts Chorale
- Chamber Ensemble
- NMU Jazz Band
- Opera Theatre Workshop
- Pep Band
- Percussion Ensemble
- Symphonic Band
- University Choir
- University Orchestra
- Wildcat Marching Band
- Collaborate, orchestrate or star in Forest Roberts Theatre mainstage performances
- Take private music lessons offered by the department
- Get early in-classroom student teaching experience
- Travel to conferences and competitions, tour and perform across the Midwest and Europe
- Learn from and play with legends at the yearly NMU Jazz Fest
- Experience the music Mecca that is Marquette—with an active local music scene, annual Hiawatha Music Fest and soulful Blues Fest.
Recent visiting artists at NMU
- Viano String Quartet
- Dutch saxophonist Hans de Jong
- Latin band Orquesta Tradición
- Percussion group Cincinnati
- Native American singer-songwriter Annie Humphrey
- Hungarian folk music group Söndörgő
- Singer-songwriter Jesse McCartney
- Finnish folk quartet Kardemimmit
- Rapper Ghostface Killah
- Psychrockers Pond
Fantastic faculty and fabulous facilities
Our professors love music, but they love working with students even more. Students get to share in Dr. Erin Colwitz's Beatles obsession, Dr. Strain's devotion to drums and Dr. Flaherty's addiction to all things jazz. Our department secretary Linda Popovic has a doctorate in music from Yale and gladly lends a well-qualified ear to all questions or concerns. Join in our close-knit music family to explore, acquire expertise and expand your musical horizons.