Purpose: To recognize teaching excellence by Northern Michigan University’s part-time faculty
Eligibility: Any faculty member on a part-time appointment who has taught at least six semesters. Graduate teaching assistants are not eligible.
Criteria: Nominees must have demonstrated a sustained record of high achievement in teaching evidenced by, but not restricted, to the following:
- Recognized enthusiasm for teaching and learning
- Favorable student evaluations
- Positive peer observations
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter taught
- Demonstrated evidence of best practices for subject matter instruction
- Thoughtful creation of safe and open learning environments
- Proven leadership in teaching activities (e.g. curriculum development)
- Planned development based on outcomes assessment data
- Ongoing commitment to self-improvement of teaching
Nominations: Any part-time faculty member, peer, department head/director, or student may make a nomination for an individual. Self-nominations will also be accepted. One PDF document, not to exceed 25 pages, must be sent to Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, by the posted deadline to Rachel Perala (email@example.com).
Supporting evidence must be submitted in one PDF document in the following order and must not exceed 25 pages:
1. Letter of nomination from peer, department head/director, unit evaluation committee, or student. Not required for self-nominations. Limit to two pages.
2. Narrative from nominee that includes a teaching philosophy, a description of how the documents provide evidence of excellence in teaching, and other information that supports the nominee’s teaching. The narrative must address how the nominee continues to refine and improve teaching. Limit to five pages.
3. Learning outcomes assessment summary
4. Qualitative and quantitative student opinion surveys
5. Peer Observation
6. Sample course syllabi
7. Sample assignment, final exam, and/or project
8. Curriculum Vitae. Limit to 3 pages.
9. Other items may include the following: teaching awards or recognition of teaching; feedback from peers, students, and/or colleagues; participation in Teaching and Learning Advisory Council’s (TLAC’s) peer observation program; and the like.
Deadline: Completed nomination with all supporting documentation must be submitted by the announced deadline from the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Deadlines vary by year, and will be announced campus wide via email.
Selection: A Selection Advisory Committee will be composed of one administrator, one full-time faculty, one part-time faculty, and one student; this committee will review all nominations and report their recommendation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Recognition: Recipients of the NMU Part-time Faculty Teaching Award will be recognized at the December Celebration of Excellence in Teaching and Scholarship. Annually, up to two recipients may each receive a cash award of $1,000.
Information: For further information, contact Rachel Perala in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at (906) 227-1458 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.