Purpose: To recognize and honor Northern Michigan University faculty, including department heads, for exceptional leadership contributions to the campus and broader community.
Eligibility: Faculty or department heads who are currently on full-time, continuing, or active status and have been members of the Northern Michigan University faculty for at least five (5) years at the time of the award. Prior recipients may be nominated five (5) years after receiving this award.
Criteria: Nominees must have demonstrated a record of exceptional leadership. The committee will base its decision on the nominee’s record of significant contributions to NMU and the broader community. The nomination should reflect many of the following:
- Advancing innovative initiatives or needed change.
- Inspiring individuals and groups to accomplish more than they would have normally.
- Exhibiting an openness to new ideas and partnerships.
- Demonstrating high standards of integrity and fairness.
- Communicating with openness, honesty, and civility.
- Including diverse perspectives in problem solving and the development of new ideas.
- Aligning actions and decisions with the University’s strategic goals, mission and direction.
Nominations: Any peer, department head/director, unit evaluation committee, or student may nominate an eligible faculty member. The nomination must be submitted to Rachel Perala in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at email@example.com. The following items should be included in this order in one PDF document:
- Letter of nomination from peer, department head/director, unit evaluation committee, or student. Limit to 2 pages.
- Narrative from nominee that includes their leadership accomplishments. Limit to 3 pages.
- Curriculum vitae. Limit to 5 pages.
- Letters of support. Limit to 3 letters.
Deadline: Completed nomination with all supporting documentation must be submitted by the announced deadline from the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Deadlines vary by year, and will be announced campus wide via email.
Selection: All nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Advisory Committee chaired by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and composed of the Academic Deans and two faculty members.
Recognition: Recipients of the NMU Faculty Leadership Award will be recognized at the December Celebration of Excellence in Teaching and Scholarship. One recipient annually will receive a cash award of $1,000.
Information: For further information, contact Rachel Perala in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at (906) 227-1458 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.