Career Services hosts on-campus recruiting events for employers throughout the academic year. Virtual session links are provided in Handshake and/or The Hub. All OCR events are free for current NMU students and NMU alumni to attend.
Lower Kuskokwim School District Information Session
Wednesday, April 27, 2022
3301 C.B. Hedgcock
The Lower Kuskokwim School District (LKSD) is an exciting and rewarding place to learn and teach in "bush" Alaska. LKSD is the largest rural school district in Alaska with 27 schools, 350 teachers, about about 4,000 Yup'ik students. The landmass of the District is about the size of West Virginia spreading along the Kuskokwim River and Bering Coast of southwest Alaska. Travel is by jet from Anchorage, and then by small plane, snowmobile or boat from Bethel to the village sites.
LKSD supports instructional staff with a robust professional development program differentiated from whole group to individually selected courses. There is a teacher mentor program that includes orientation to the local culture and learning about our curriculum.
LKSD is looking to hire about 40 teachers in the following areas for the 2022-2023 year:
- Elementary Education
- Special Education
- Secondary Education Math
- Secondary Education Science
- Secondary Education Language Arts
- Secondary Education Social Studies
- School Counselor
- K-12 Principal
- Salary - $55,011 to $97,798
- $4,000 signing bonus
- Health insurance
- Housing in villages
- Airfare - free round-trip airline ticket from your home village to Anchorage per year
- Professional development
- Classroom benefits - small class sizes in the village schools (15 students or less)
- Additional benefits - no state income tax or state sales tax; Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend check after 1 year
If you are interested in learning more, attend the information session on Wednesday, April 27 at 5:00 p.m. in 3301 C.B. Hedgcock.