Join us this Friday, September 30th at 3pm in The Science Building, Room 2906 or on Zoom (see presentation description below)!
Archie Defillo, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Medibio, LTD
"Sleep and Mental Disorders: a Bidirectional Relationship"
Friday, September 30th, 2022 at 3pm
The Science Building, Room 2906
The lecture represents a brief overview of the relationship between sleep and psychiatric disorders and the implications of sleep disturbances in psychiatric settings. During the lecture, a definition of sleep and a description of sleep architecture will be presented. The hypotheses about the role of sleep in emotional-cognitive processing will be discussed. The students will be able to understand the bidirectional relationship between sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders, with a particular focus on mood, anxiety, trauma, and stressor-related disorders. The impact of sleep disturbances on the course of psychiatric conditions will be explained. The students will understand the importance of sleep assessment in psychiatric settings with a brief overview of sleep assessment methods reported in the literature. In addition, the guidelines for sleep intervention will be mentioned. Finally, the lecture will present the potential implications of sleep disturbances in psychotherapy treatment.
22-23 Academic Year Speakers
2022- 2023 Academic Year Colloquium Series Speakers
- Remington Rice, Ph.D. Michigan State University Extension. September 9th, 2022 "Mending the stress fence."
- Kimberly Rios, Ph.D. Ohio University. September 16th, 2022 "Understanding resistance to multiculturalism: The role of threat."
- Archie Defillo, M.D. Medibio LTD. September 30th, 2022 "Sleep and Mental Health: An Innate Relationship"
- Stephanie Jones, Ph.D. Salve Regina University. October 7th, 2022
- Peder Seglund, Ph.D. October 14th, 2022
- Scott Philibin, Ph.D. Alkermes. October 21st, 2022
- Janette A. Polkinghorn, Ph.D. Marquette Alger Regional Educational Service Agency (MARESA). November 4th, 2022
2021- 2022 Academic Year
- Steve Miller, MS. April 15th, 2022 "Yes, pregnancy doesn't always happen easily.
- Keara Kanga, MS. April 8th, 2022 "Interpersonal connection strength: Mechanisms of synchronization based on effective emotion regulation use"
- Matthew Novak, Ph.D., BCBA-D. April 1st, 2022 "Behavioral Science Applications to Improve Employee Performance"
- Jason Cowell, PhD. March 25, 2022 "Grey Matters: Insights from Neuroscience on the Development of Empathy and Morality"
- Todd Hillhouse, Ph.D. March 22nd, 2022 "Exploring the antidepressant effects of ketamine and other psychedelic drugs: Are hallucinations required for rapid antidepressant effects?"
- Joshua Carlson, Ph.D. March 18th, 2022. "Are you paying attention now? The attentional processing of climate change information and its enhancement through cognitive training."
- Jon Barch, Ph.D. February 11th, 2022. "What does social cognitive psychology research tell us about issues of diversity In underrepresented fields?"
- Joseph Porter, Ph.D. November 19th, 2022 "Advances and challenges for treating depression with ketamine and other psychedelic drugs"
- Kevin McDowell, Psy.D. November 12th, 2022 "The heart of the matter."
- Christine Greer, Ed.D. November 5th, 2022 "Extended adolescence, COVID and mental health—the perfect storm?"
- Todd Hillhouse, Ph.D. October 29th, 2022 "Not all opioids are created equal: targeting the opioid system for depression and cocaine addiction"
- Bradley Olson Ph.D. October 22nd, 2022 "A Gestalt look at prejudice and discrimination"
- Kevin Trewartha Ph.D. October 15th, 2022 "Age differences in motor learning: what can we learn from neurophysiological evidence?"
- Kymberly Schroder, J.D. October 8th, 2022. "Forensic psychology: tales from 'The Darkside'"
- Amanda Rosenberg, M.A. October 1st, 2022. "A secret algorithm to a successful career"
- Forrest Toegel, Ph.D., BCBA-D. September 10th, 2022 "Promoting health and prosperity using behavior analysis."
2020 - 2021 Academic Year
- Lawrence Carey, Ph.D. January 29, 2021 "Unraveling the Complexities of Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor-Mediated Antinociception"
- Ashley Shayter, Ph.D. February 5, 2021 "Evaluating the Efficacy of Online Instruction and Acceptance and Commitment Training on the Performance of Registered Behavior Technicians"
- Kammie Rossetto Juzwin, PsyD February 12, 2021 "Thinking Outside the Box: MH Providers Working with Uniformed First Responders"
- Kesong Hu, Ph.D. April 9, 2021 "The Influences of Emotion and Motivation on Perception and Cognition"
- Sean Mooney-Leber, Ph.D. April 16, 2021 "The Impact of Neonatal Pain and Reduced Maternal Care on Brain and Behavioral Development"
- Lisa M. Savage, M.S. Candidate April 29, 2021 "In Search of a Simplified, Objective Attachment Style Assessment: The Attachment Implicit Measure"