International Graduate Admissions
International applicants should complete the following steps to submit a complete application. Click each heading to show more information.
1. Open an application
- Go to Apply Now
- Complete the application form
- Remember your email and password
2. Request transcript/credit evaluation
- Transcripts from any institution outside the United States must be evaluated by an external transcript evaluation company.
- Evaluation reports must come to NMU directly from the company*. Reports submitted via email by the student will not be accepted.
Use one of the following services to request your transcript evaluation.
- ECE - Education Credential Evaluators - With this service, you can submit your official educational documents only once--to ECE. NMU would then receive the verified documents from ECE along with the credential evaluation. Select the "course by course report."
- WES - World Education Services: This service lets you submit your official educational documents only once--to WES. NMU receives the verified documents from WES with the credential evaluation. Select the "course by course report with ICAP."
- SPANTRAN: This service is the least expensive and fastest option.
- Another NACES approved service.
*NMU has an alternate procedure regarding acceptable documentation for applicants with extenuating circumstances. Applicants with extenuating circumstances should contact the Graduate Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
3. Proof of English proficiency
If you are from a non-English speaking country, you must provide proof of English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
- English language proficiency test:
TOEFL – minimum score of 79 iBT/213 CBT/550 PBT
IELTS – minimum overall band score of 6.5
ITEP – minimum score of 3.9
MELAB – minimum score of 79
Duolingo – minimum score of 105
- Bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher education.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) or higher from an institution of higher education in a country where English is the official language (listed below). Transcript must show English (composition and literature-based, ESL not acceptable) credits with C or better grades. English speaking countries list includes:
Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Liberia, Micronesia, Namibia, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, St. Lucia, St. Vincent Grenadines, St. Kitts & Nevis, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on 24 or more earned undergraduate level credit hours from a U.S. institution of higher education. Credits must include college level English composition and/or speech.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on 12 or more graduate level credit hours from a U.S. institution of higher education.
- Successful completion of Level 112 in the ELS Language School
4. Request Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for all international student applications. Letters of recommendation are submitted directly to NMU by your recommender. You will be prompted to provide your recommender's email address within the application. Once email addresses are provided, NMU will contact your recommenders with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
For more information about how to request a letter of recommendation, please visit our application help page.
5. Submit program specific requirements
- Each graduate program has different application requirements.
- Go to the list of program specific admissions requirements to find out what you need to submit.
- Documents are not accepted via email - upload your documents to the application.
- Letters of recommendation must come directly from your letter writers.
7. After you are admitted
Send documentation for visa :
- Email your certification of finances form: download here
- Email a copy of your passport
Submit these to:
Ellen Doan - International Programs
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org