Come on in!
We look forward to having you join us for the 2021-2022 academic year and believe your residence hall experience - the friendships you will make, the opportunities for involvement and learning available to you, and the support you will have from the residence hall and other University staff - will add considerably to your NMU experience.
The move-in date is August 19, 2021
Depending on your hall, carts or these big boxes called Ulines are available. There are limited quantities of these, so depending on the volume of residents moving in at a time, there might be a wait.
Loft kits are available on a first come, first serve basis and there are a limited number available. Students will receive specific details on how to request a loft kit with their fall housing assignment (housing assignments are sent to students NMU email at the end of July/early August). Loft kits cost $70 for the academic year.
Beds in the residence halls are manufactured differently and, therefore, we do not permit students to construct their own lofts. We have purchased loft kits from the company that manufactures these beds.
Students who want to return a loft can do so by submitting a maintenance request through the Housing Portal.
- Move-in: Thursday August 19, 2021. More information to follow.
- Roommates: Most students, including those who have not known each other previously, become good roommates provided they take the time to get to know one another, make a sincere effort to cooperate and communicate, and make it a point to do things together at least occasionally. If you have roommate concerns, work with your residence adviser to explore your options.
- Assignment Adjustments: For the past several years the number of students we have assigned to our residence halls has been near capacity. This means that the Housing and Residence Life Office does not have the flexibility to make adjustments to room or roommate assignments. If you have a question or concern about your assignment, please contact us by email (email@example.com).
- TV's: To watch TV using NMU's digital cable service, you will need a digital-ready television with a QAM tuner. Regardless of the type of TV, whether it be LED, LCD, or plasma televisions, they must have the QAM tuner in order for them to work. If you are not sure about the compatibility of the television, a quick internet search of the television's make and model will confirm if the TV has the QAM tuner. Each house has a TV room, so it is not essential that you bring a television.
- I am no longer attending NMU: Please let us know in writing (email firstname.lastname@example.org) at your earliest convenience. By letting us know early, you may make it possible for us to move effectively respond to another resident’s residence hall preference.
- Babycakes Muffin Company | A charming bakery/café serving decadent made-from-scratch meals and full espresso bar with organic fair-trade coffees and teas.
- Border Grill-Marquette | Authentic fresh Mexican grill, five homemade salsas and vegetarian items. Quick service.
- Casa Calabria | Pasta, pizza, steaks and more! Great dining experience in a festive Italian atmosphere.
- Donkers Restaurant | A fun, family-friendly restaurant serving delicious, made from scratch food, plus an old-time soda fountain and candy store.
- Elizabeth's Chop House | Certified steaks and fresh seafood in downtown Marquette.
- Iron Bay Restaurant and Drinkery | Creative comfort food paired with a historic dining experience in Marquette's Iron Bay Foundry building. The view is pretty nice too!
- Lagniappe Cajun Creole Eatery | Wonderful Cajun-Creole dining experience.
- The Portside Inn | A "True Marquette Original" for over 30 years. Casual pub-style atmosphere and famous breadsticks.
- Sol Azteca | Featuring all-time favorites, such as tacos and burritos and some house specialties such as chimichangas and fajitas. Located in Marquette's historic waterfront district.
- Vango's Pizza and Cocktail Lounge | Specializes in Greek cuisine, but offers a variety of food, including their famous waffle fries and "death by chocolate" cake.
- Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery | Unique, historical, full-service restaurant and brewpub. Specializing in fresh Lake Superior Whitefish.
The following hotels may offer a special discount for move-in weekend.
Cedar Motor Inn
2523 US 41 West, Marquette
2463 US 41 West, Marquette
Country Inn & Suites
2472 US 41 West, Marquette
2403 US 41 West, Marquette
1951 US 41 West, Marquette
2383 US Highway 41 W., Marquette
412 West Washington Street, Marquette
230 North Front Street, Marquette
855 W. Washington Street, Marquette
Map of these and other hotels near Northern Michigan University