All parties who wish to participate in room/roommate selection must have completed the steps below by logging in to your MyNMU and selecting the Housing portal.
- Completed the residence hall application (new students)/room reservation form(returning residents)
- Paid the $50 application fee
- Paid the $200 advanced payment
- Meet hall qualifications (see below)
Be sure to watch your NMU email for periodic notifications.
Late January: Housing application goes live (for new residents)
Early March: Room Reservation form goes live (for returning residents)
March 16th-March 17th: current residents may renew their current bed
March 18th - July 12th: current residents may renew any available residence hall bed
May18th - July 12th: new residents may select any available residence hall bed
Late July: Residents receive their fall housing assignment letter
Selecting your roommate/suitemate(s)
You must match your roommate and/or suitemate(s) before room reservation begins.
- If you know with whom you wish to live, you may send out roommate requests to those students. If you send out a roommate request, the person you sent the request to must confirm your request. The same principle applies to suitemates.
- The system will only allow students of the same gender (the gender indicated on their admissions application) to pair as roommates.
- If you have a matched roommate who does not meet the criteria to select a room in one of the halls, those halls will not show up as an option for you when selecting a room/suite.
- Students wanting to select a room in The Woods (Birch, Cedar, and Maple Hall) must have an account balance less than $500 or be up to date on their payment plan.
- If you do not know who you want to live with, you may use our roommate matching option in the Housing portal.
Signing up for your room/suite
If you have a fully matched roommate group, it is essential that only one of you participate in this process.
- Login to the Housing Portal through your MyNMU.
- Select the Room Selection tab // Select a Room or Suite
- Select which hall you wish to live in.
- Once you do this a list of available spaces for which you are eligible will appear. You are able to view how many spaces are available in each room and suite. You will also see the price of that room for the semester. If you are assigning a roommate group that is larger than two people, it is important that you choose the Select Suite button instead of Select Room button.
- Assign yourself to the room. Choose which space in the suite you want to assign yourself to and which spaces you want to assign to those in your roommate group.
- After you hit the I Agree button, it will take a few moments for the next page to load. Do not click refresh, back, or close the tab. Once you have completed this step you will receive an email confirmation.
A $200 advanced payment is due by May 14, 2021 to continue to hold a space. This advanced payment is applied in full toward first semester charges. Applicants who cancel their agreement between May 14, 2021 and July 16, 2021 may receive a $100 refund on the advanced payment. The $200 advanced payment is non-refundable if the applicant does not enroll at the University and terminates this Agreement after July 16, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
- This must be paid by 9PM EST the day prior to reserving your bed. Once you move in in the fall, the $200 gets to your student account. To make this payment, log into the housing portal, choose the Application and Forms option, and open the Advanced Payment application.
- If your roommate/suitemate(s) have not completed their advanced payment, they will not show up when you go to select and assign your roommate group to a room or suite and your intended bed for them will not be held. Additionally, they will not be automatically pulled into your selected room or suite.
If you need to make adjustments to your dining plan you may do so through the Housing and Residence Life portal on your MyNMU account. Once you have selected the Housing portal, choose "Dining Plan" on the top menu. No dining changes will be accepted online after Monday, July 12. After July 12, all meal plan changes can be requested by emailing email@example.com or contact Dining Services in the Wildcat Express Center, Room 1227 in the Northern Center.