Booping the Wildcat's snoot

Congratulations on Your Admission to NMU

Welcome! Whatever your reasons for returning to school, we’ve designed this page to help you with the next steps to enrollment at NMU. If you have further questions please contact your post-baccalaureate admissions counselor, Alyssa Brown.

New student orientation is optional for post-baccalaureate students, but primarily serves new freshman and transfer students. We do offer one commuter, veteran, and nontraditional student orientation session which may better serve your needs. If you’d like to attend an on-campus orientation session, you can learn more here.

If you have previously attended NMU, you may have already completed some of these steps. If that’s the case for you, welcome back!

If you’re an international post-baccalaureate student, you can find more information on international student services here.

What Are My Next Steps?

You will need to have access to your student account (MyNMU) in order to complete your other next steps. It’s a good idea to activate your account as soon as you are admitted, or right after you receive your acceptance letter in the mail.

If you are new to NMU, follow these instructions to activate your account. Please have your NMU identification number (NMU IN)/Social Security number handy!

If you have attended NMU before, your NMU IN, MyNMU username and NMU email have not changed. Follow the steps to recover your account information or reset your password here.

Post-bac students work directly with their academic departments to evaluate prior credits and develop a plan of study. When reaching out to them, don’t forget to let them know you are a post-baccalaureate student. It would be helpful to send unofficial copies of your transcripts to help your adviser with this process. 

Non-degree students can contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center for assistance with course selection.

Financial aid isn’t as abundant for post-baccalaureate students as it may be for others, though you may still qualify for loans and can apply for other forms of aid. Be sure to complete your FAFSA and send it to NMU to determine your eligibility with our Financial Aid Office. Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Non-Michigan residents who earned their associate or bachelor's degree from NMU are eligible for in-state tuition rates based on NMU's Residency Policy.

Looking for scholarships? You may be eligible for a few of our donor-funded scholarships, some of which are open to students at any degree level.

Recently admitted students may have holds that will prevent them from registering for courses. If you have any holds on your account, please contact the office that placed the hold. Only this office will be able to resolve the issue and lift the hold.

The hold policy and information about common registration holds can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.

Each student is assigned their own date and time to register for courses. This information, along with course offerings, can be found in MyNMU under the Student Services tab when it is available. You can also check the Registration Week Schedule.

When you are ready, you can use these instructions on how to self-register through MyNMU, or you can contact the Student Service Center for assistance. 

Senior citizens should work with the Student Service Center directly to register for courses.

If you are currently enrolled at another college or have not submitted transcripts from every college you previously attended, please request that an official transcript be sent directly to the NMU Admissions Office. If you are still enrolled, you can wait until after your final grades and/or degree(s) have been posted to send us a transcript. Check to see if we’re missing any of your transcripts here.

If you are enrolled in at least 8 credit hours, you may be able to live on campus. You can learn more about NMU’s on-campus apartments and find instructions on completing an application here. Single, shared and family housing options are available.

You can also explore off-campus options. The Dean of Students Office maintains an off-campus housing list and resources for finding housing in Marquette county.

You will want to consider completing these next steps depending on your personal circumstances:

Start meeting people through NMU's social community on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.