For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service-learning, community service, and civic engagement.
Civic engagement activities include: attending political, governmental, ASNMU, non-profit, or board meetings including school board or PTO meetings; attending public hearings; or working on a political campaign or project.
- Academic Senate: Meets at 3:05 p.m. on Zoom every other Tuesday. The link to the Zoom meeting is on the Senate's homepage. The Zoom password is "Wildcats".
- ASNMU Meetings (student government): Tuesdays at 6 p.m. Please contact Chair of Assembly, Kylie Lanser (email@example.com) if you would like to get sent the link.
- College Democrats Meetings*: check back in the winter. You can also check out their Facebook page at "NMU College Democrats" or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- College Republicans Meetings*: check back in the winter. You can also check out their Facebook page at "NMU College Republicans".
- Marquette Ending Hunger* and the Food Recovery Network: check back in the winter. To find out more, check out their Facebook page at "Marquette Ending Hunger," which is a great source for updates about meetings, volunteer opportunities, and events. If you would like to be added to their mailing list, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- NMU Board of Trustees: Meets on Thursday, April 29 at 11:30 a.m. and Friday, April 30 at 8 a.m.; July dates to be determined; Thursday, September 30 at 11:30 a.m. and Friday, October 1 at 8:00 a.m.; Thursday, December 9 at 11:30 a.m. and Friday, December 10 at 8:00 a.m. Students can stream the meetings at the following link: https://bit.ly/2UeD5Ex. The meetings will be livestreamed in Ballroom II of the Northern Center if people wish to attend in person. Masks and social distancing will be enforced.
- Social Justice Committee: Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. We create educational events, promotions, and talks centered on how the criminal justice system interacts with issues of social justice. Check for meeting/community/event updates on their Facebook page at "NMU Social Justice Committee."
- Student Finance Committee: If you would like to watch a budget hearing on Mondays at 5 p.m. (they aren't scheduled every week), send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will get a meeting link.
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement, but any events will count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities
- Marquette Board of Light and Power: the second Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m. at 2200 Wright St., Marquette
- Marquette Commission and Board Meetings
- Marquette Downtown Development Authority: the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 a.m. at 203 S. Front St., #1-B, Marquette
- Visit marquettemi.gov to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 1021 W. Washington St., 906-226-3366. The Marquette County Democratic Party is seeking students to join a grassroots organization of interns and volunteers. Hours are entirely flexible and there is no minimum commitment per week required. We work every day from 10 a.m.-9 p.m., including weekends. Much of the work can be done on campus or in the area just around campus. Leadership opportunities are also available. For more information, please contact Meredith Rahn-Oakes at 718-702-7120.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street). Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Gwinn Community Schools: Are held on the third Monday (March 15, April 19, May 17, June 21, July 19, Aug. 16, Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15, and Dec. 20) of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Gwinn Middle/High School Library
- Ishpeming Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday (March 15, April 19, May 17) of each month at 7 p.m. in the Ishpeming High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools: Are held on Mondays (March 15, April 19, May 17) of each month at 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools Parent Advisory Committee: Are held on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in the Central Office Boardroom, 1201 West Fair Avenue
- Negaunee Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday (March 15, April 19, May 17) of each month at 7 p.m. in the Negaunee High School Library
- NICE Community Schools: Are held on the third Monday (March 15, April 19, May 17) of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Westwood High School Media Center.
- Room at the Inn: Are held on the second Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. office, 347 Rock St., Marquette.