For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service-learning, community service, and civic engagement.
Civic engagement activities include: attending political, governmental, ASNMU, non-profit, or board meetings including school board or PTO meetings; attending public hearings; or working on a political campaign or project.
- Academic Senate: Check back in the fall for meeting dates/times.
- ASNMU Meetings (student government): Check back in the fall for meeting dates/times.
- College Democrats Meetings*: Check out their Facebook page at "NMU College Democrats" or e-mail email@example.com.
- College Republicans Meetings*: Check back in the fall for meeting dates/times. Contact Matthew Schlenkert at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Marquette Ending Hunger* and the Food Recovery Network: To find out more, check out their Facebook page at "Marquette Ending Hunger," which is a great source for updates about meetings, volunteer opportunities, and events. If you would like to be added to their mailing list, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- NMU Board of Trustees: Meets September 23-24 and December 15-16. Students can stream the meetings at the following link: https://bit.ly/2UeD5Ex. The meetings will be livestreamed in Ballroom II of the Northern Center if people wish to attend in person.
- Social Justice Committee: Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. We create educational events, promotions, and talks centered on how the criminal justice system interacts with issues of social justice. Check for meeting/community/event updates on their Facebook page at "NMU Social Justice Committee."
- Student Finance Committee: Check back in the fall for meeting dates/times. For more info, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement, but any events will count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities
- Marquette Board of Light and Power: the second Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m. at 2200 Wright St., Marquette
- Marquette Commission and Board Meetings
- Marquette Downtown Development Authority: the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 a.m. at 203 S. Front St., #1-B, Marquette
- Visit marquettemi.gov to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 1021 W. Washington St., 906-226-3366. The Marquette County Democratic Party is seeking students to join a grassroots organization of interns and volunteers. Hours are entirely flexible and there is no minimum commitment per week required. We work every day from 10 a.m.-9 p.m., including weekends. Much of the work can be done on campus or in the area just around campus. Leadership opportunities are also available. For more information, please contact Meredith Rahn-Oakes at 718-702-7120.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street). Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Gwinn Community Schools: Are held on the third Monday of each month (Sept. 19, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, Dec. 12, Jan. 16, Feb. 20, March 20, April 17, May 15, June 19, and July 17) at 6:30 p.m. in the Gwinn Middle/High School Library
- Ishpeming Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday of each month (Sept. 19, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, and Dec. 19) at 5:30 p.m. in the Ishpeming High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools: Are held on Mondays (Sept. 19, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, and Dec. 19) from 5:30-7:00 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools Parent Advisory Committee: Are held on Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School SRC Room, 1201 West Fair Avenue
- Negaunee Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday of each month (Sept. 26, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, and Dec. 19) at 7 p.m. in the Negaunee High School Library. The October 17 meeting will be held in the Middle School and the November 21 meeting will be held at Lakeview Elementary.
- NICE Community Schools: Are held on the third Monday of each month (Sept. 19, Oct. 17, Nov. 21, and Dec. 19) at 6:30 p.m. in the Westwood High School Media Center.
- Room at the Inn: Are held on the second Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. office, 347 Rock St., Marquette.