The NMU Volunteer Center was formed in 1992 to provide a link between the Marquette community and Northern Michigan University. At the Volunteer Center, NMU students, student organizations, faculty, and staff can find out about volunteer opportunities and local contact information for non-profit organizations looking for volunteers.
The Volunteer Center also coordinates Make A Difference Day each October. Finally, the Volunteer Center works to encourage service through recognizing volunteers’ achievements.
Please contact the Volunteer Center/Superior Edge coordinators at 906-227-2466, email@example.com, or drop in at 1101 Northern Center with any questions or for assistance.
As an Individual
With the right information, resources, and support from the Volunteer Center, everyone can find the perfect volunteer opportunity. The benefits of volunteering are evident in the surrounding community, environment, and the individual.
- Flexible time commitment
- Learn new skills
- Meet new people
- Learn about your community
- Build marketable skills
- Reduce stress
- Makes you feel good
- Great resume builder
As a Student Organization
Volunteering as a student organization or sports club is easy and fun! The benefits include:
- Helping your local community
- Personal improvement of individual members
- Group building: When organization members volunteer together, they experience qualities that build a strong group bond. These included trust, friendship, teamwork, spending time together, and working towards a common goal.
- Recognition: There is no better way to advertise an organization than to volunteer! It is easy, free, and shows you care about being part of the local community.
- Award: Student organizations that show a commitment to volunteering can be nominated for the Community Service Award that is awarded at the Leadership Recognition Banquet.