Skill Builder! Workshops
Every semester the Center for Student Enrichment offers a dynamic series of 25-30 workshops on aspects of leadership development. Topics have included but are not limited to:
- public speaking
- wellness/mental health
- career development
- dining etiquette
Skill Builders! are free for all NMU students, faculty and staff and are also open to the general public. View the schedule and register for workshops on The Hub NMU. Space in each workshop is limited so register early! If you are unable to attend a workshop after you have already registered, please cancel your registration on The Hub NMU.
Interested in presenting a Skill Builder?
Come share your skills and present a Skill Builder! You can present a workshop on your own, with a student, with a coworker, or with a community member. The more interactive the workshop, the better! If you are interested in presenting, please complete this Skill Builder! Planning Form.
Need more hours for Superior Edge?
Skill Builder! workshops may count toward Superior Edge hours. These workshops could count towards the Citizenship, Diversity or Leadership Edges of Superior Edge and provide key tips and information on teamwork, motivation, programming, transition, leadership, ethics and citizenship. Members are encouraged to attend as a group or individually. Why not utilize them to gain additional insight into interesting topics and acquire hours while working toward your "edge?" After attending a Superior Edge orientation, you can start logging hours, including some of the workshops in this series.
Student Fellow Information:
Student Fellows must participate in 15 workshops and other eligible activities in order to complete their participation in the SLFP. Student Fellows are encouraged to attend the workshops that are a part of the Skill Builder! workshop series. They can also attend workshops and participate in eligible activities outside of the Skill Builder! workshop series, but they need to complete the Skill Builder! write up form and have it approved by an SLFP staff member. At least 8 of the required 15 Skill Builder! credits must be from the Skill Builder! workshop series.
Workshops that can count towards a Skill Builder! write-up:
- The workshop cannot be a requirement of the student’s employment such as a training session, in-service or mandatory meeting.
- The workshop topic is generally recognized as a leadership topic or where you learn a new skill.
- Volunteering with non-profit or community-based organization (limit 1 write-up per student fellow)
- Holding a leadership position in a student or community-based organization for at least 6 months (limit 1 write-up per student fellow)
- Attend a university, local, state or federal government meeting (limit 1 write-up per student fellow)
- A general meeting or a Superior Edge Orientation does not count.
- The workshop/activity shall not be a requirement for the student fellow's employment or for any academic class. It is acceptable if the activity/workshop provides extra credit for an academic class.
The Skill Builder! write-up form is located HERE.
Occasionally, Student Fellows have the experience and expertise to become workshop presenters. Student Fellows who present workshops within the Skill Builder! workshop series will be granted two workshop credits for their effort.