Make a Difference Day
A National Event
- Created in 1990 by USAWeekend, Make A Difference Day is a national event celebrating neighbors helping neighbors.
- Make A Difference Day is one of the largest annual single-days of service nationwide. Tens of thousands of volunteers across the country unite on the fourth Saturday in October with a common mission: to improve the lives of others through a wide range of community-driven service projects.
- Approximately 250,000 service projects are done per year in 30 different countries. There are 30 million hours of volunteer services per year with an estimated $635 million annual dollar value of volunteer hours.
Marquette County Make a Difference Day
- Northern Michigan University’s Make A Difference Day initiative has brought in over 1,000 volunteers to rake leaves for elderly people in the Marquette community.
- Presented by the NMU Volunteer Center, this event involves student organizations that rake yards over the course of the day. Groups must provide their own transportation to areas that include Marquette.
- Volunteers will receive more information about picking up rakes and t-shirts as well as breakfast closer to the event.
Volunteer registrations (for individuals or student groups that would like to volunteer for Make A Difference Day) are due on Wednesday, October 14, in the Center for Student Enrichment, 1101 Northern Center. Make A Difference Day volunteers register here.
Service Request Forms (for individuals in the Marquette area that would like volunteers to come to their home for a fall clean-up) are due on Friday, October 9, in the Center for Student Enrichment, 1101 Northern Center. You can print a Make A Difference Day form and mail it to the NMU Volunteer Center, 1401 Presque Isle Ave., Marquette, MI 49855.
A great big THANK YOU to Flagstar Bank, NMU Dining, the Student Finance Committee, Housing & Residence Life, and NMU's Center for Student Enrichment for being our sponsors!