Take the next step in your journey!
You are an important part of the NMU community! We've put all of NMU's transfer resources in one place just for you on this page. Transferring to a new school is exciting, and as you have questions we are here to help you on this journey with a personal Transfer Specialist.
Start with your Wildcat Transfer Checklist below, or let us know how we can help you. Let's get started!
Wildcat Transfer Checklist
Your steps to beNorthern
- Apply now at least 1 semester before you plan to attend NMU. Submit your application and send NMU all of your college transcripts (also AP, dual enrollment, etc.), including current in-progress coursework. Less than 12 college credits? Send us final high school transcripts, too.
- Complete your FAFSA and have NMU's school code 002301 on your form.
- Set up your MyNMU account when admitted and start using your NMU email address.
- Register for orientation.
- Meet with your dedicated academic adviser to discuss your course registration. Send NMU all current and updated college transcripts, AP scores, dual enrollment, and other coursework to have an accurate discussion of your degree plan. Call us when you're ready at (906) 227-2650 or email email@example.com.
Fall 2021 - August 23, 2021
Winter 2022 - January 10, 2022
Visiting students taking only one or a few courses and returning to their home institution click here: Guest Student Application Instructions
Transfer Credit Resources
Check your course equivalencies, connect with specialists in your major, and learn more about transferring with these resources.
The Admissions Office considers anyone who has attempted any college coursework after high school graduation a transfer student for admission purposes. If all college credit is earned prior to high school graduation, you are considered a first-year student. Find more information on early college credit here.
You are invited to experience our campus and beauty of the Upper Peninsula! Schedule either a virtual or in-person campus visit, which can include a guided tour of campus by a current student, meeting with an Admissions Counselor, and meeting with a faculty member in your intended major. The choice is yours! Schedule today!
Whether you are an in-state or out-of-state student, NMU offers a variety of merit-based transfer scholarships for admitted students who will be enrolled on the NMU Campus. If you are a veteran, dependent of a veteran you may also be eligible for in-state tuition. Please visit our Financial Aid office's page to learn more about transfer scholarships and tuition.
You can choose from a variety of housing options at NMU! On and off-campus housing is available for transfer students. Many transfer students choose to live on campus their entire time at NMU, taking advantage of convenience in costs, location, and building a network of friends easily in the campus community. Get more information on our NMU Housing and Residence Life page.
Continue Your Journey at NMU
If you are currently attending or have been enrolled at another college or university after high school, join us for Transfer Northern 101. These information sessions are designed to help you understand the transfer admission process and get connected to NMU.
Each of our online Transfer Northern 101 sessions features:
- Personal assistance for transfer admissions
- Scholarship information
- Meeting current NMU transfer students
- Opportunities to ask all of your questions
Upcoming sessions: August 10
In high school? Check out all of our virtual events for you at nmu.edu/admissions/virtual
Ready for Orientation instead? Click here: nmu.edu/orientation
Transfer Credit Policy
Transfer Credit Policies (For Undergraduate Transfer Students and First-Year Students with College Credit)
Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended must be sent to NMU*. Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for military training are optional and consultation with a transfer admission counselor is recommended.
Read the entire current Transfer Credit Policy on the University Bulletin below.
*If the number of credits you will transfer exceeds the number of credits required to earn your NMU degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any potential impact on your scholarship and/or financial aid eligibility.
If you have specific questions, an admissions counselor can also assist you. Feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.